Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first SS rigid bike...and I'm lovin' it...will a carbon seatpost and/or handlebar make any difference in the harshness of the ride?

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Not sure about the seatpost....but my Thomson treats me right.
As far as the bar goes....YES.
I noticed the carbon making a difference even on my long-travel bike.
What I've noticed is that it takes out the "buzz" that reaches your hands/arms.
Bumps are still bumps but that buzz and drone that reach your neck are muted significantly. I use the Easton DH bar at 28" wide. Lot's o' love.

thegood said:
I just got my first SS rigid bike...and I'm lovin' it...will a carbon seatpost and/or handlebar make any difference in the harshness of the ride?

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
thegood said:
Personally, after using both a carbon(ec70) and an AL post I can't really tell a difference. This is probably because i'm hardly ever sitting down.

I'm very displeased with the ec70 post and was forced to order a new post for the custom frame i'm getting on saturday. The clamp has failed and it now slips a bit every ride.

I agree with the other poster on bars. the downhill easton carbon bar is perfect for ss'ing!

·
Cheesiest
1,612 Posts
Anyone try the Maxm riser? I've been thinking of slappin' one on the 'ole lizard ;)

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
intheways said:
Anyone try the Maxm riser? I've been thinking of slappin' one on the 'ole lizard ;)
I have a maxm 6 on my ss monkey. Only had it for 3 months now but it feels good. I also had a easton monkeylite carbon riser on my old bike. Hard to compare though as the old bike had a Z1 and the ss is rigid. Both feel pretty stiff.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
I have a maxm 6 on my ss monkey. Only had it for 3 months now but it feels good. I also had a easton monkeylite carbon riser on my old bike. Hard to compare though as the old bike had a Z1 and the ss is rigid. Both feel pretty stiff.
After using both 26" XC and the 28" dh easton version I must say there's a pretty large difference in stiffness when you are really cranking up some steep hills and also that extra width gives you a pretty significant increase in leverage.

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
After using both 26" XC and the 28" dh easton version I must say there's a pretty large difference in stiffness when you are really cranking up some steep hills and also that extra width gives you a pretty significant increase in leverage.
My maxm feel stiff on the rigid, BUT I can flex em a little. 235lb .Maybe I should look into those eastonDh bars to replace these if I hear of anyone breaking the maxm. Thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've never owned a carbon post but I can say that a titanium post makes a big difference, and a titanium setback post makes a HUGE difference. I can't say about the carbon though.

Gabe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts