Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is probably a very dumb question, but I am going to throw it out there. A friend bought me an EC90 seatpost (27.2, 300 mm) as a gift. I was checking the easton website, and this post is only listed under the road post category. I know that some posts go both ways (EC70, EC90 zero). Could I use this on a mountain bike (I ride all terrains/styles) or will it snap in half? I noticed that the head is carbon, and this is where I fear the weakness will be. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
Well if it breaks whats the worst that could happen??
Its usage will depend on factors like how much do you weigh, what type of riding do you do... etc. If you are concerned with it, ebay it as it will make a nice amount of $$ and then buy a thomson aluminum post and ride worry free.

If you are a 200 lb'er who does 5 foot hucks, then I would guess that it probably won't last too long. If you are a skinny XC shrimp like yours truly, then it would be alright... for awhile.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to give it a try. What is the worse that could happen? Could I get impaled by the post? I'm about 175 lbs and mostly ride XC. I really don't ever huck off anything really. I contacted easton, and they thought as long as I was careful about the torque when attaching the saddle to the head that I'll be OK. I'll cross my fingers.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
TannerWilson said:
What is the worse that could happen? Could I get impaled by the post? .
Yep. You could get impaled... or just crash with varying results. It's not likely, but it can happen. It's far more likely to happen than if you use an aluminum post or at least a carbon post designed for MTB. I've seen carbon posts break, but it's usually with big guys. A carbon head really shouldn't be used for MTB.

You are brave. If you're going to try it, it will work OK, but for how long? You could lull yourself into a false sense of security. Easton is protected legally since it's officially a road post.

If I were you, I'd cross my legs in addition to my fingers :yikes:

Is this a money thing or are you some kind of uber-weight weenie? I don't get it. MTB is dangerous enough without having to worry about equipment failure.:nono:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I am far from a weight-weenie - my bike still ways about 29 lbs. I have been in the market for a new post since mine is steel or something and I keep having trouble with the seat staying in the correct position even when I bolt it down very hard. I was interested in carbon only because if I was going to sink money in, I wanted something that would be "up to date" for a while. My buddy knew this, and he gave me a slightly used EC90 off a road bike as a gift. I could sell the post and put the money towards say an EC70 MTB post, but selling stuff can be a major pain in the butt. So, if it was safe to use, I'd just use it - its a nice post that is really light. But, it sounds like people have some concerns about using it, so I will likely try to sell it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I wouldn't use it, especially not with a carbon head. Of course, I wouldn't use a carbon seatpost (even an MTB specific one). I'd sell it and get a Thomson, which will lock in place very nicely, or maybe even a gravity dropper.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I wouldn't ride with it. Just not worth the risk. A carbon road post on a mtb is going to break at some point. Sell it and get yourself a Thomson post.

The worst that could happen? Carbon splinters in your ass, perhaps combined with a nasty crash. It isn't going to be good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am 6'2" 220lbs and I have a carbon seatpost, stem and handlebars and i ride hard, not extreme just hard and I am content with the way my components are holding no up. But when it comes to 5' and 6' drops it definently won't be on this bike. if you are still unsure as to carbon Bontrager makes a an aluminum seatpost wrapped in carbon (220gm) very light weight and durable. It's called a Race X Lite ACC carbon seat post ($99.00)

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
RIDE OR DIE said:
I am 6'2" 220lbs and I have a carbon seatpost, stem and handlebars and i ride hard, not extreme just hard and I am content with the way my components are holding no up. But when it comes to 5' and 6' drops it definently won't be on this bike. if you are still unsure as to carbon Bontrager makes a an aluminum seatpost wrapped in carbon (220gm) very light weight and durable. It's called a Race X Lite ACC carbon seat post ($99.00)
If it cracks it could lead to a much worse injurie then a handlebar, you could literally get impaled.

Sell it and get a Thompson elite or masterpiece, their the best you can get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.