Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall there being a thread on this forum that showed carbon seat post testing results from various manufacturers, but can't find it anywhere. I'm looking for any upgrade from my Easton EA30 30.0MM seatpost that will be at least 100 grams lighter. Any help or pointing me where this thread or information exists would be most appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
just broke my second carbon seatpost , scary off road but not as much as the on road incident. one was a performance post, the other was a giant branded. Im going thompson zero offset, they are only one ounce heavier than a carbon post but weigh that against a bad crash at speed. good luck

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
aireguitar said:
just broke my second carbon seatpost , scary off road but not as much as the on road incident. one was a performance post, the other was a giant branded. Im going thompson zero offset, they are only one ounce heavier than a carbon post but weigh that against a bad crash at speed. good luck
That sounds like a major endorsement for the idea of avoiding the no-name off brand or OEM carbon products.

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
What Curmy says...

I think it's best to steer clear of carbon seatposts on MTB. Carbon handlebars, that's different story. Modern performance level stems are designed to be carbon friendly, provided you do use a torque wrench. But a typical frame to seatpost interface is a legacy affair, a leftover of pre-carbon days. Even if you do use a friction compound for carbon parts and a torque wrench to tighten a well designed bolt-on clamp, that's still a dirty hack with a carbon post.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
J. Random Psycho said:
What Curmy says...

I think it's best to steer clear of carbon seatposts on MTB. Carbon handlebars, that's different story. Modern performance level stems are designed to be carbon friendly, provided you do use a torque wrench. But a typical frame to seatpost interface is a legacy affair, a leftover of pre-carbon days. Even if you do use a friction compound for carbon parts and a torque wrench to tighten a well designed bolt-on clamp, that's still a dirty hack with a carbon post.
Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I think I can exert a lot more force on the seatpost than I can on my handlebars, and the force is concentrated at one point (where the seatpost emerges from the frame) instead of at two points (where the handlebar emerges from the left and right sides of the stem).

At 152 pounds / 69kg, I'd use a good-quality 100-gram carbon handlebar for XC riding. But I think I'll draw the line at a Thompson Masterpiece with ti hardware in the seatpost department.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
mechBgon said:
But I think I'll draw the line at a Thompson Masterpiece with ti hardware in the seatpost department.
The utter lack of compromise makes that not much of a line.

The only thing bad about Masterpiece is derth of sizes.

The added bonus is that Thomson clamp is much more friendly to light saddle rails.

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
A reliable AND light carbon post would be hard to find.

On a side note, are you sure that 30.0 mm is the clamp size, and not the seat post diameter? Thinnest clamp size I have encountered with an aluminum frame is 31.8 mm, that typically goes for 27.2 mm seatpost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Utopia has a carbon seat post. It is a Bontrager Nebula Elite. It's just a commuter bike and won't see any off road use. Though some sidewalks in the area are rough. I wouldn't use a carbon post on a MTB. Just my preference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been using my 31.6 FSA K-force carbon for 3 years now, on 2 different frames litespeed niota and ellsworth epiphany without any problems. No slipping, creaking or any issues whatsoever. Bolts were changed to ti and i use a carbon rail alliante.
All my FSA components have been reliable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.