Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I purchased a Ritchey Carbon seat post new from Amazon. It's was from China. The first one they sent had a crack after about 3 weeks:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1399132724.620051.jpg

The company sent a new one out and I put it on the bike today and noticed this hairline crack in the same place:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1399132770.838742.jpg

I haven't even gone for a ride yet!

The company seems pretty good and will probably offer to send a replacement or a refund. Do you think I should cut my losses with this company and take the refund or chance it with another replacement?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's from Amazon marketplace? Probably a knock off. I'd give up.
Yep, Amazon Marketplace. I never contacted Amazon but contacted the seller directly. I would rather give them a chance to fix it before going through Amazon.

Apparently it's where Ritchey gets there manufacturing done and they even offered me other Carbon components for a decent price (40% off retail).

·
Plays with tools
4,646 Posts
That looks like the bond line between the aluminum head and carbon shaft. I'd give ritchey a call direct and see what they say. They make good stuff and stand behind it.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Beware of Counterfeit Products / Ritchey - News & Blogs
Q: Could there be Genuine Ritchey product be available for purchase direct from the factory/manufacturing source at a major discount?

A: This is not possible. The vast majority of counterfeit product we see originates from China, and Ritchey does not manufacture any of the typically counterfeited product we see (handlebars, stems or seatposts) in China.

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
Just throw some gorilla tape on there.

jk

seriously, just throw that junk away or better yet hang it on the wall as a momento and tell everyone you ride that hard..haha No need for a premature enima. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beware of Counterfeit Products / Ritchey - News & Blogs
Q: Could there be Genuine Ritchey product be available for purchase direct from the factory/manufacturing source at a major discount?

A: This is not possible. The vast majority of counterfeit product we see originates from China, and Ritchey does not manufacture any of the typically counterfeited product we see (handlebars, stems or seatposts) in China.
Thanks.

Guess I'll ask for my money back!

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
My Salsa Mamasita frame has had a similar looking crack for several years. Its where the carbon bonds to the aluminum. I would keep riding it and see what develops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts