Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make a Carbon Scout review video. It will not be too serious. If anyone has requests let me know.

My main observations after owning the frame since it was released:
1) I like that the sag range is so wide and the thing rides great either way. Two bikes in one if you change shock pressure.
2) 210mm dropper is fantastic (I bought the OneUp)
3) I prefer the fancy Fox shock. I didn't like the firm position on the RockShox one, it was too firm. I used the climb mode on the DPX2 every time I climbed. Only use flip the switch now for fire roads.

For reference, my SBG review video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tst2-emsIO8

·
Registered
112 Posts
Been meaning to ask what you thought about the Scout vs the Rail and Patrol. Looking at picking up a 2020 Scout, Patrol or Rail. Had a ride on a buddy's SBG alloy Scout and the capability of that mid-travel bike blew me away and of course it cornered like a dart. Figured the 2020 geo updates just ratchet up the capability. Makes it harder to chose between a Patrol (or similar long travel bike).

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you've demoed the new carbon Sentinel and can add a comparison to that rig, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in general for doing the review!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooh boy I'd have to demo the Sentinel and Spur to compare those two (I'm also a bit scared I might like em). I've only ridden 4 29ers in my life and wasn't a big fan of any of them (GG Smash, Trance 29, 2020 Evil Following, some Trek way back before 650b was a thing), so a caveat. I kinda dug the Following because it rolled over all the roots but was pretty lively since it hasn't got much squish, but it was only one trail (SST) I got to ride so not very thorough (there's spots where I get hung up with 27.5 wheels unless I'm really on it).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Im curious how is the Scout in long mode (150/160) vs normal mode (140/150), and if you demoed Bronson v3 and Patrol, how they compared, special when the Scout in long mode.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Muddy-Runs, the Scout can't be easily switched like say a GG bike. You have to replace the shock.

I've demoed a carbon Patrol and also owned a Suppressor. The Patrol sizing was different-- I was really comfortable on a large Patrol, cramped on a medium (but it's a blast if you just shuttle). On the prior gens of Scout they felt bigger in the cockpit for the same size. The Patrol was similar, but slightly squishier. If the carbon Scout hadn't come out, I was leaning towards getting one.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I'm not going to be entirely serious, I came up with the thought of using "5 things you should know before buying the Carbon Scout" like all those f*ing stupid clickbait YT videos.

1) It looks sexy.

2) 210mm OneUp dropper. More insertion always feels good. Slams the seat almost like a DJ. 185mm is pretty good. What a difference coming from 125mm and 150mm. I thought the Reverbs that came on prior builds were frustrating POS.

3) SBG steering feel taken up a notch over the 1st gen SBG. Cornering feels so damn good. Analogy, feels like the transition from from straight skis to shaped skis.

4) The Raceface cranks are gone off the builds. Dunno about the rest of you, my experience was they always creak.

5) Wide sag range -> "Quiver killer". Deserves some gag ... this term is so over used. But I'm serious on Friday I set sag to min to ride jumps and smooth flow, next day I set sag to max for descending rocky chunky Little Moab. And I didn't fiddle with the open/firm switch on the shock. No flip chips or any other crap like that. I used to have a Scout and the Suppressor (26" Patrol) to cover it all. At least, that's what I'm gonna tell my wife if she ever finds the receipt for how much this bike cost.

6) Longer reach but shorter ETT. Roomier on the downs, more upright going up, but the weight distribution is really good so I haven't had issues with the rear wheel slipping. Seat tube has caught up with Patrol, GG, other cutting edge bikes in being very steep. Note the Revel Rail has a slacker seat tube. Revel said the recent geo trends are going too far, but I don't really understand why-- I thought every bike with a steeper seat tube I tried climbed better.

7) Rockshox vs Fox X2 shock. I thought the Fox performed better, but the Fox only comes on the frameset and the top build and it has too many f*ing knobs which runs counter to the simplicity of the bike otherwise. Also, it was mostly the firm setting on the RS that I didn't like and lately I've stopped flipping the switch altogether as I don't think it's really needed when running sag near minimum anyway. I guess I could try recording climbing with both sag settings in slo-mo and see how much bob there is but honestly it's so much better than just 3 years ago either way.

8) It does NOT come with a Loam Shelf sticker. And the showroom is closed so ...

9) The stock cockpit felt really good, I built mine up myself and ended up taking some cues from the way TR has it setup. The ODI Sensus grips are minimalist, not sure if I'll stick with them long term but they are really solid.

10) It'll make you a better rider. Nah, not really, but I think every review has to say this. Cue fail compilation.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How does it comp to the SBG Scout?

The #s make it seem like quite a different bike. I can ride my bros SBG Scout anytime and I love that bike. Just not sure it makes sense to actually spring for the 2020.

Next bike is down to:
Revel Rail
2020 Scout
Patrol carbon
Knolly Warden
Norco Sight 27.5

All seem great for spicy PNW trails. Been hearing possibly legit reports about how good the Rail is in mullet set up. Might sway me. The new Scout #s/geo make it seem like a current Patrol killer unless you really go HUGE.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The #s make it seem like quite a different bike. I can ride my bros SBG Scout anytime and I love that bike. Just not sure it makes sense to actually spring for the 2020.

All seem great for spicy PNW trails. Been hearing possibly legit reports about how good the Rail is in mullet set up. Might sway me. The new Scout #s/geo make it seem like a current Patrol killer unless you really go HUGE.
I think if you like the SBG this one isn't that different and improves on it. In the Scout build thread folks were hoping for a return to the OG Scout roots... it definitely ain't that.

I do wonder about the PNW-ness of the bike... despite the reputation of trails around here, they're generally well designed and in good condition so it doesn't actually take all that much bike to just ride em. The Patrol seems like overkill unless you really want to send it. This was also why I didn't go with a GG bike. The Megatrail was too much, Shred Dogg not quite enough.

The Rail was awesome. Had a lot of confidence riding it. It also has a wide sag range. However the Scout geo is more comfortable for my size.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Anyone want to add anything else? Thinking about building up a light weight scout with a 150 pike and lighter tires. Wondering if this bike is going to be overkill for typical east coast trail riding.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
5'11' with shoes on. Pants inseam is 31". I think 32" is average for my height. The large feels very comfy. If I were only shuttling I would have tried a medium, but I'm almost only climbing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts