Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for reviews of 27.5 carbon rims. So far have researched 2: Enve and Reynolds. Other leads appreciated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You posted a good list, but I just wanted to say Ibis carbon rims are not rebranded Derby. If you do some research you can figure out where the Derby rims are made. I haven't figured out where the Ibis rims are made yet, but Ibis does state explicitly that they use a different mfg. than Derby. Hint: you only posted 2 mfg. in your list of 3 options above. Regardless, I give Derby kudos for being on the leading edge of the current wide but not fat rim movement.

To add to your list (not LB nor Ibis): another interesting mfg. is NOX composites: Nox Composites Carbon MTB Rims and Wheels

·
bad reputation
463 Posts
Halo Vapour Carbon 27.5" (650b) Disc Rim

I'm using the NoX rim and nothing but positive results.
I was loving my 650b Nox wheels until a pre-race ride rock destroyed my rear wheel on Friday. No crash, just hit a rock on course and cracked my rim, thankfully it was the day before race day and I had a spare wheelset!

Not sure if they'll cover it with their 2-year warranty or crash replacement plan. Crash plan gives a discount on new rim or wheel rebuild...Warranty is for "defects." I still love the wheels, but be careful when going wide...wider rims have less rubber protecting their sidewalls. My situation would probably not have occurred with a narrower rim.

·
Unpredictable
2,208 Posts
Superstar Components (UK) should have their 650b carbon wheels out by now. I like my 26 inch version a lot - not the widest, but if Jerome Clementz says wide is not required, I can accept that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts