Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some opinions on a problem. I just got Felt rxc frame and turned it into a ss. She rides great and is pretty fast. But... after the second ride, I noticed a crack on one the the break bosses on the seat stay. The seat stays are made of carbon fiber. It cracked maybe 1/3" were the metal piece goes into the carbon. Since Felt doesn't warranty frames that are not bought through one of their dealers, I called Calfee and they said they can repair it and re-enforce both sides.

The question is, can I trust the frame after the repair or do I constantly have to worry about the seat stay cracking or breaking again? Does it make sense to spend maybe $150 on the repair or should I get a different frame, like the Reken from pricepoint?

As I said, any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
Personally...

... I'd get a new frame. But I'm an AR, so take this into account. :) I just wouldn't trust a carpet fiber repair nor would I want to look at that repaired blob on my formerly beautiful frame every time I went to ride the thing.

Or maybe I'd do it just because I always be looking for an excuse to get yet another new sled, baby. :eek:

Whatever.

--Sparty

RiderInTraining said:
I would appreciate some opinions on a problem....

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Steel is real

I don't trust carbon fiber in the first place its strong, but its so rigid you don't get a lot of notice before it fails. I would go for a new frame if I had the money, and there are sevearal really inexpensive frames on the market.

And if the frame was new I would talk to Felt, and see if there willing to let you do a crash replacement or something of the sort. A cracked frame isn't good marketing.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hmmm...

jherich said:
And if the frame was new I would talk to Felt, and see if there willing to let you do a crash replacement or something of the sort. A cracked frame isn't good marketing.
I second that idea right there!! :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already talked to Felt. I knew that they only warranty frames or bikes that are bought through one of their dealers, so I asked if we could work out some kind of deal on a new frame. I was told they don't have any in my size, but the service rep told me he would ask one of his guys if it can be repaired (quick fix were his words). After that phone call I contacted Calfee. I figured, if Felt doesn't get it right the first time, why should a "quick fix" work any better.
The only problem I have with a steel frame is rust. I live in Houston and it's pretty humid down here.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If Calfee repaired it I would trust the repair and I'm sure it wouln't look like a "blob" on the frame. Calfee wouldn't put out work that looked bad and wouldn't repair it if they felt it wouldn't last. Besides, this is already a "compromised" area anyway. The metal brake boss and carbon seat stay are joined in some fashion when the bike is made. This can be undone and redone by an outfit like Calfee without jeopardizing the integrity of the stay.

I assume you're using V brakes. Assuming the brake boss, and not the stay, is the damaged item you might be able to switch to disk brakes if there are disk mounts. Then no repair would be needed. A lot of assmumptions here but something to ponder.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
meloh1: That's why I choose Calfee for the repair. I'm sure they will do a good job. I just have no idea how durable carbon repairs are.
And yes, I do use v-brakes, the frame doesn't have disc mounts.

As I said, I love the way she rides, but a crack after just two rides leaves a bad feeling about the frame.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That doesn't appear to be into the carbon. The carbon doesn't look damaged at all. Without an up close and personal inspection it's hard to know but it might not be that serious. It may just be a surface crack in the epoxy around the post. The way it looks I'd say it's very repairable.

It's hard to know how the post is anchored in the stay but it looks like they may be able to just grind off the cracked epoxy and re-epoxy the joint.

Is the post loose at all? Any movement whatsoever if you grab the brake and torque it? Can you notice the crack widen when you torque the brake?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it moves slightly when I torque it. It seems that a v-shaped piece is cracked and will come off it I keep moving the break boss.

I'm pretty sure they can repair it, but the question is, will it be any stronger. That's $150 that I could spend toward a new frame instead. If it breaks again after a couple of rides, I'm gone be really pissed.

·
Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
RiderInTraining said:
Yes, it moves slightly when I torque it. It seems that a v-shaped piece is cracked and will come off it I keep moving the break boss.

I'm pretty sure they can repair it, but the question is, will it be any stronger. That's $150 that I could spend toward a new frame instead. If it breaks again after a couple of rides, I'm gone be really pissed.
No disc mounts, and you need a chain tensioner to run SS, and it's broken... how many excuses do you need to buy a new frame? :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think if Calfee does the repair it will be better than new and I'm sure they'd stand by their repair. As it sits now, you couldn't get much if anything for the frame and you'd have to shell out well more than $150 for a similar new frame. If it were me, and I liked the frame and setup, I'd get it repaired.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
Well said.

meloh1 said:
I think if Calfee does the repair it will be better than new and I'm sure they'd stand by their repair. As it sits now, you couldn't get much if anything for the frame and you'd have to shell out well more than $150 for a similar new frame. If it were me, and I liked the frame and setup, I'd get it repaired.
After seeing the photo, which shows a completely different picture than I originally had in my mind, I agree with meloh1. I pictured the damage in the seatstay per se but the stay itself is in good shape. And from the look of the damaged section, I think the boss can be repaired to be stronger than original.

That's a nice bike. I'd see if Calfee would commit to stand behind their repair before laying down my cash. If they step up, I'd go for it.

--Sparty

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Calfee repaired a friend of mines Scott Top-Tube, the victim of a lever-blade slice right across the very top of the TT :(
It's been roughly 3 years and the repair is clean and shows no sign of weakening. :)
- I hope that gives you at least a little piece of mind about spending a little $$$ vs. alot of
$$$.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
RiderInTraining said:
Thank you guys very much for the replys. I have a much better feeling about the repair now. I'll post again when I got the frame repaired.
Not sure if this helps your decision, but I worked on composite repairs in the aerospace industry for a few years and a good repair and actually make the part stronger than it was previously. The key is to have a good repair though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Morlahach said:
Get a White ENO hub, make this sucker a fixed gear, and run only a front brake. Ignore the crack in the brake boss.

Problem solved.
You're right, that would solve the problem with the bike. But... I'm sure it would create a major problem with my lunges.

·
Registered
162 Posts
are you sure it's really a crack?

does the boss wobble? usually the bosses are threaded into a metal insert in the frame. is the insert moving or just the boss? to me, it looks like paint. manufacturers usually paint the parts of carbon frames they can't make pretty looking. paint chips pretty easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.