Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Techno-Beaver
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I am worried about something on my bike. I have an '09 575 with the full carbon rear. I have had the bike for just over a month and yesterday I found something that alerted me. On the inside of the non drive-side, about where the tire would rub if I was running huge tires, I have found a scratch. I say scratch because I am trying to be positive and not say the "c" word.

First let me say that I have truly babied this bike. I ride with a fair amount of finesse and do not break things on my bike regularly. It has not seen anything that I would consider above and beyond it's limits. I am however a heavier cat. (All muscle of course.) :smallviolin: I don't think the weight really has anything to do with this situation. How much do I weigh? About 245.

I know that without a picture this is going to be hard to diagnose. I had a fellow forum member ride down to my house today to look at it and we don't know if you could really see it in a posted pic. My hope is that it is a scratch from some kind of debri picked up from my tire. I guess my question would be as follows...

What do you think would compromise this carbon rear. Let's say I crashed and scratched up the outer part of the the rear triangle. Do I then have to worry about it failing later? Not sure what to worry about. This is the first bike I have owned that has any Carbon Fiber parts. I have done a search for pics of carbon damage and can't really find anything similar.

I guess what I really want to know is, "Can the Carbon rear sustain any scratches and still be sound?"

I will have my LBS take a look at this as soon as possible but was wondering what you guys and gals thought.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Would have to touch the damage to guess but I have a few "cosmetic" blems on the rear of my 575 that I got early last year and nothing ever happened. I ride with guys on older carbon bikes, ibis, trek fuel 9, etc. that have significant impact marks here and there and they are all going strong. A shop mech. that sells carbon bikes, but not Yeti, told me that they look for damage to the "structure" of the carbon not cosmetics. Don't know if that helps. Don't underestimate the carbon.

·
giddy up
275 Posts
Is the wheel still rubbing? Stand in from the bike and see if the seat tube and rear wheel line up. Check the der hanger, check the pivot bolts for tightness and check the bond where the chainstay inserts into the rear dropout.

I just had my 05 rear triangle replaced because the epoxy bond on the chainstay and drop gave way.

·
Techno-Beaver
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the wheel is not rubbing. I have since had my local shop take a look at what I have described and they are convinced that it is purely cosmetic. I keep inspecting it on a regular basis and will continue to do so. I guess I will have to chalk this one up to "new bike syndrome." I think I am almost over that babying period. I'll report soon how life is on the other side. Thanks for all who have responded!

·
Tribe of one
111 Posts
snapped

Don't want to alarm you but over the past couple of months I had been watching a "scratch" on the inside of the non drive side that seemed to be growing.

Tonight while riding up a steep technical section the unthinkable happened...

Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part White Bicycle part Bicycle chain

·
Registered
969 Posts
bike flyer said:
Don't want to alarm you but over the past couple of months I had been watching a "scratch" on the inside of the non drive side that seemed to be growing.

Tonight while riding up a steep technical section the unthinkable happened...

View attachment 460082
Anybody else think these are related to the forces of the disc brakes? Seems like its always on the non-drive side ... and the torque of the disc brake is pretty well isolated to that area... ( completely non-qualified assumption )

Hate seeing these pics...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
How common are these cracks? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an alloy 575, it seems like yeti has great customer service, but without a local dealer it would be more of a hassle to get warranty repair.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
emtnate said:
How common are these cracks? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an alloy 575, it seems like yeti has great customer service, but without a local dealer it would be more of a hassle to get warranty repair.
I cracked an ARC HT a few years ago and there wasn't a local dealer. Yeti just shipped me a frame directly instead of sending it to a shop. I had to send my cracked one to them first but it wasn't a hassle at all. even less of a hassle actually because I didn't have to make a special trip to a shop just to pick up the new frame.

YR

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Huh - That's impressive that they will deal with the end customer without going through a dealer. I guess that's another reason to get this frame.

Google revealed a few other cases of cracked stays, given how many 575s are out there it doesn't seem like a big deal, especially since they back their product like that.

·
Banned
486 Posts
bike flyer said:
If you consider $400 as for what they are calling crash replacement for the part... thats not backing the product.

I just lost my love for Yeti.
Full carbon rear? How is that not reasonable? The entire frame is $1600+, so you wouldn't pay a quarter of that for arguably the most expensive to produce portion of the bike? And if it's in warranty, and they are offering you crash replacement, must be operator error that caused the break. Have fun selling a front triangle.

I'm tired of all of the "broke my bike, yeti sucks" threads lately. In reality, maybe a lot of you should look a lot closer at your LBS's and what THEY are charging to get you a replacement and handle the associated costs. I think 99% of the Yeti loyal on here would agree that they are one of the best in the biz at handling warranty issues, especially the few that they have (or we hear about on here).

/rant

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
eyescream said:
Full carbon rear? How is that not reasonable? The entire frame is $1600+, so you wouldn't pay a quarter of that for arguably the most expensive to produce portion of the bike? And if it's in warranty, and they are offering you crash replacement, must be operator error that caused the break. Have fun selling a front triangle.

I'm tired of all of the "broke my bike, yeti sucks" threads lately. In reality, maybe a lot of you should look a lot closer at your LBS's and what THEY are charging to get you a replacement and handle the associated costs. I think 99% of the Yeti loyal on here would agree that they are one of the best in the biz at handling warranty issues, especially the few that they have (or we hear about on here).

/rant
Eyescream, it's not just the Yeti fans that complain, check all the forums. Many people are under the impression that if their frames break it's automatically a manufacturers defect and they are entitled to a new frame. I've even seen a post recently from a person who GOT a new frame under warranty and they are pissed because their steerer tube is now to short, etc.

The expectations of many people is one of entitlement and if the industry allows it to continue it is going to put a lot of smaller builders out of business. If you crash your bike and it breaks that is not an issue covered by warranty. I am convinced that these warranty claims is one of the big reasons frame costs have increased pretty dramatically recently. It's all figured into the intitial cost.

·
Tribe of one
111 Posts
If you look at the flashing advertisement in the sidebar on your screen for jenson 2008 the bike frame can be purchased for $1359. This includes a rp23.

I would expect expect that the replacement cost for a swing arm would be what the actual cost is to manufactuer that part.

Does it really cost $400 to manfactuer that part?

·
Banned
486 Posts
bike flyer said:
If you look at the flashing advertisement in the sidebar on your screen for jenson 2008 the bike frame can be purchased for $1359. This includes a rp23.
Yes, it does. That's also for a 2008 model, and it quite clearly states that it's 20% off of MSRP. They have been selling them at full price until this sale started.

If you were getting a WARRANTY replacement it would be free (unless your dealer charged you for reassembly), but you're being charged for a CRASH replacement which means your rear tri broke in a manner not consistent with a manufacturer defect, most likely a crash or negligence. But, as Tinshield said above, it's the entitlement mentality of the consumer that drives prices up. People come on to websites, complain they didn't get their way, others change their purchase behaviors based on what the read here on the interwebs (true or not, full story or not), so manufacturers have to raise the initial pricepoints on models year after year because of making concessions to the few that will complain no matter what they are given.

I have no idea what it costs to make a full carbon rear tri, nor do I care. But if it's a deal they are giving you as a CRASH replacement, it's most likely less than what retail would be if someone just wanted to buy one. It's probably close to cost+shipping from Taiwan I would guess. I don't *think* it's $50 part, they aren't Specialized or Trek with economies of scale like that.

·
Tribe of one
111 Posts
Let's be clear here. I never question this as a warranty issuse. I am questioning the cost associated for the replacement part. I rode that bike the way it was meant to be...

User error ... that's funny. Yeah I break things. Uhmm I am a mountain biker.

At least it didn't die a slow death hanging on the wall collecting dust.

·
Banned
486 Posts
bike flyer said:
Let's be clear here. I never question this as a warranty issuse. I am questioning the cost associated for the replacement part. I rode that bike the way it was meant to be...

User error ... that's funny. Yeah I break things. Uhmm I am a mountain biker.

At least it didn't die a slow death hanging on the wall collecting dust.
Do you have a pre-08 575? If so, you'd probably be getting the new style full carbon rear triangle and I *think* you get a new dogbone and associated hardware...I think they stopped giving out pre-08 replacement parts sometime last year, and had adapted the new front tri's to work with the old rear tri's, and the old front tri's to work with the new rear tri's.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.