Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering what brand/type, if any, some of you use for chainstay or downtube protection on your carbon bikes ? Mine is the Altitude, yes it is dirt bike, but wouldnt mind putting alittle protection in key areas that will go with the white paint scheme.
Brian

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Crankskins does a nice 8mil kit for cable rub and paint chip protection. The Altitude DT is fairly immune to rock chips, just from the shape.

http://www.crankskins.com/kitfullbike.html

...and you can use the 12mil or 20mil thick stuff for chainstay and seat stay chain protection, I've been using 20mil stuff on the chainstay on my Vertex RSL. It doesn't make it much quieter, but it sure absorbs the impact.

http://www.crankskins.com/cafrsa.html

You can also use the loop side of self adhesive Velcro strip as a good chainstay protector, it doesn't weigh much and the fuzzy loops absorb noise and impact.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I use the Crankskins 8m mil kit for my Giant NRS C1 (carbon front triangle). I've been completely happy with it. I don't worry about my frame any more than when it was aluminum.

For the chainstay, I have some thin foam wrapped / held in place by electrical tape. It looks very clean. The chainstay on my bike is aluminum though.

Yes, I realize this is the Rocky Mountain forum, but I don't really believe it is a brand specific question.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used the crankskins 20mil protection...I don't think it worked very well on the downtube....Was to thick to stay in place on the weird shaped tube of the carbon RSL frame. the 8mil probably will work better.

I am going to try the shelter bike protection though, getting it this week. http://www.cantitoeroad.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=279

its a fairly new product from what I read was developed for a guy that use to be an engineer with 3M...so hope it works out, I have higher hopes for it then the crankskins thick stuff...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will say that video for the cantitioe road was impressive. Some clever marketing. I wonder how the crankskins would do in same exact test ? Do you think the forum would pay me enough to buy all products and do the test ? lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
3M Helicopter (Heli-Tape). Either 8671 or 8663. Both work well for bike applications.

Not cheap though, expect to pay a few hundred dollars for a whole roll. Luckily they sell it in shorter strips.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My friend does paint protection on cars so he wrapped my frame in venture shield. it works great, I pulled the paint protection off this spring since it was a little scuffed up and now the frame looks brand new. I am going to redo the downtube again this year and my buddy changed product and will be using the 3M product. The best thing is that it is all off cuts, so it is just scrap material for him. Check out your local collision center see if you can pick up some off cuts.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did u get it

did you get it, and how did it go on ?
Getting ready to place my order if you really like it.
Thanks for info

squibbtp said:
I used the crankskins 20mil protection...I don't think it worked very well on the downtube....Was to thick to stay in place on the weird shaped tube of the carbon RSL frame. the 8mil probably will work better.

I am going to try the shelter bike protection though, getting it this week. http://www.cantitoeroad.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=279

its a fairly new product from what I read was developed for a guy that use to be an engineer with 3M...so hope it works out, I have higher hopes for it then the crankskins thick stuff...

·
Registered
68 Posts
1362 said:
did you get it, and how did it go on ?
Getting ready to place my order if you really like it.
Thanks for info
went on much easier then the crankskins...its held on...the crankskins thick stuff would start to come up the next morning

seems good so far...been on for a little more than a week, no problems so far

·
Registered
30 Posts
squibbtp said:
went on much easier then the crankskins...its held on...the crankskins thick stuff would start to come up the next morning

seems good so far...been on for a little more than a week, no problems so far
Just wounding how it's holding up? Worth the coin??
How much was supplied with the $30 Shelter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bike Frame Saver

I just released a product called Bike Frame Saver. I've been using 3m products on cars and trucks for 12 years. We offer pre-cut kits similar to crankskins, but with 3m's latest venture tape which is way easier to work with and even more resilient to UV fading. It's a little thinner, but with the extra clear coat, it's actually stronger than the original 3m scotch film. We offer full kits for $59, and they come with more than enough to cover all of your rock chip and cable rub areas. Check it out!

·
Registered
686 Posts
waht about re painting?

If I wanted to strip my carbon MSL frame and repaint or even just clearcoat is this even possible? and if so who does it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts