Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a used RaceFace carbon seat post. This is my first carbon post, and I was wondering if there were any tips or tricks to installation, without damaging it. I've got a QR clamp on the bike now, and will buy a bolt on so I can get the torque spec'd properly. I will pick up some carbon assembly paste today as well.

I noticed that this post is much longer than the stock post on my '09 Stumpjumper. I tried to install it, and was able to gently work it down into the seat tube to the same height, but when I took it out, I noticed the outside was quite scuffed (but not gouged or scratched per se). I know carbon parts must be treated gently, so I am hoping I didn't damage it, but it was quite a snug fit (even though it is the same size as my current post (30.9). the previous owner has some carbon paste on it, which I wiped off, but some likely remained. Any thoughts?

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Clean out seat tube

I have a length of broomstick with a hole drilled through it sideways at one end. I rip strips of cloth about 1-2 inches wide and 16 inches long and pull it halfway through the hole. I sop a bunch of orange solvent onto the cloth and ram it down the seat tube, spinning and plunging (why do I have an urge for a cigarrette?)

Anyhow I remove the stick and cloth, repeating this with a clean cloth or orange solvent soaked rag until I am satisfied it is clean.

Clean off the seat post and add new carbon paste. check for burrs near the top of the seat tube. Remove, clean, and relube your seat post clamp.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...and the fact that after my initial installation resulting in some scuffing or "haziness" to the post, mostly below the minimum insertion line - is this a big issue? Have I compromised the post?

As I said, this thing is WAY longer than my current post - to the point where I will likely need to cut it down in order to benefit from any weight savings (it is probably heavier than my current post because of the length). Also, I am kinda short, so I don't have a huge amount of exposed post on my medium Stumpjumper - no need for all that extra post within the seat tube, right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.