Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered what I believe is a good price on a very nice bike. I'm looking for opinions. A buddy of mine races road bikes and is sponsored. He bought a Jamis Dakota 29 Team a few years ago, rode it maybe 15 miles and hung it in his garage. It's practically like new. Msrp was $4,600, and I know he got a deal from his LBS on the bike. I currently ride a Jamis Dragon 29, so I'm on a steel frame (that I love) and an adequate component set, except for my fork. I currently have a ToraTK spring fork and he has a Reba air shock on his. Obviously, the other components are nicer, too, but I think the air fork and the 7-8 pounds of weight loss will be the most noticable. He's offered it to me for $1500. It seems like a lot of bike for the price. The geometry is similar to my current bike, too, which I'm very comfortable on.

1. Is $1500 a good price for this bike at 3 yrs old, but practically brand new?
2). Also, what differences, good and bad, am I likely to see in this bike as opposed to my current steel 29er?
3. I'm 6'1" and a little over 210 lbs. Am I possibly too heavy for a carbon frame, or am I not giving them enough credit?

Here is a link to the spec list for reference. The only difference on his bike is the Reba fork, from what I can tell:
2011 Jamis Dakota D29 Team - BikePedia

·
Registered
15,139 Posts
Bike blue book says it's a good price. The Avid brakes are a component I would switch out to SLX.
But for carbon it's all about the ride. It can be designed light and stiff as a short distance race bike or with compliance and trail feel for more all purpose. The geo goes with that. If it has geo you like from your existing bike that may be ok. Steep ht angles get you quick steering but are less stable going fast downhill.
The good thing is you should be able to take it and demo on your home trails. You can see exactly how much difference it will make.
A bike with good geo and great compliance/trail feel is the 14 Superfly 9.6-9.8

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to borrow it for a week or so and take it for a few rides. I'm curious how the ride will be different from my steel 29er. People claim to buy both because of ride quality. If it's just as smooth and forgiving as my steel bike and a full 8-9 lbs lighter, I might fall in love.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I have both steel framed and carbon framed hardtails with similar setup and geometry.
I ride them back to back all the time. This is going to sound stupid but the steel bike feels both harsh and rubbery at the same time after riding the carbon. I only notice it for a few moments when I switch. I assume it's the carbon soaking up the small bump chatter and being stiffer through the bottom bracket.
And of course the carbon feels light when I first start riding.
Both bikes are great fun on the trail and get ridden more or less equal amounts.

Sounds like a great deal, I'd do it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does the stiffness and substantial weight loss affect downhill stretches at all. I've read where more race setup lighter carbon bikes have some trouble keeping the rear wheel planted on downhill and steep drops. I'm sure I'll adjust either way. The carbon still scares me a little. It just seems like it could crack so much easier and then the bike would be trashed.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
It's pretty close to a good deal, but that's personal preference, too. To me, this is much more attractive if your friend is trustworthy and not BSing you about the bike getting virtually no use. I wouldn't mind paying his asking price if that's true, but I prefer to negotiate a little and I would offer him a little less, not low ball to piss off a friend, but a little less just part of negotiating. Had he offered to sell at $1200 I'd just buy it without haggling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.