Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Always a good idea, that way no need to over tighten anything in the least. Don't only use it on the stem/bar interface, also use it between bar and controls so you don't have to crank them down more than needed to stop them rotating under normal use, but not so tight that they won't spin/move in a crash. Controls=shifters, brakes, grips.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
No. Clean the interface between the clamp and bar. Torque the clamp to spec. The only place I (and the LBS) routinely use carbon paste is on seatposts in carbon frames or carbon seatposts. Look at the user sheet that comes with the bars and see what their recommendation is.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,792 Posts
It's a good idea, it puts a barrier between aluminum and carbon, which has the potential to corrode due to galvanic corrosion, plus as everyone else said, it helps to reduce the torque you have to use.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,775 Posts
you need a torque wrench for sure

paste, maybe on the stem

paste won't hurt but may not be needed

fyi I used paste on stem and everything clamped to the bars as the handlebar manufacturer said to use paste (tacx carbon assembly compound)

but accurate and repeatable torque will help the bar live longest w/o dumb cracks from overtightening

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I have never needed carbon paste on anything except a seat tube.
Every carbon bar I've ever had though has a rough center.
I DO torque carbon steerer and bars though. Usually 5nm

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
A lost a few hours last year trying to get a, alloy seatpost out of a carbon frame. To this day it is still stuck fast. So to answer the question with another question, why the hell not??

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
So to answer the question with another question, why the hell not??
Agreed. A lot of people say they don't need carbon paste on the bars but both carbon bars I've had needed paste just to keep the brake lever from slipping at 5nm. I found out on the trail that it wasn't going to work without paste. I don't care if people say they don't need it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.