Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a new handlebar 35 mm diameter and I heard lots of good things about the OneUp carbon.

On the other hand I kinda like the Santa Cruz carbon riser because of the lifetime warranty. They’re similar in terms of weight and geometry (20mm riser, length, backsweep, etc…)

I could get both for a similar price, the OneUp 20e or so cheaper. So I’m wondering if performance wise they’re similar, if the OneUp is far superior and worth it despite the 1 year vs lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Been on the oneup bars for the last couple months and they have been great. I ran renthal bars 31.8mm on all my bikes for since the carbon bars became available from them and they were good I never had any complaints. Than I tried the race face next carbon 35mm bars because those were on a newer bike I got and they were pretty good as well it felt like a seemless transition between those and the renthals. Then just for the hell of it I tried the pnw range bars, 35mm and that was shocker. Immediate arm pump doing my usual afternoon ride, the bend and the feel of the bars were great in the garage but on the high speed chatter oh boy what a difference. I gave them an honest shot for a week and than switched to the oneup 35mm bars arm pump instantly gone. My experience with the oneups is great so far, I cant attest to their durability because I haven't been running them long enough, but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Been running a oneup bar on one of my bikes now for close to a year and like it, no complaints. I also use renthal bars on two bikes and like those, no complaints. I would be fine purchasing either one again.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,580 Posts
The oneup is more compliant, the SC is stiffer..

I'm reminded of Tommy Boy from there. The cost of warranties is embedded in the cost of the product. They're also generally due to customer perception, rather than engineering reality.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The oneup is more compliant, the SC is stiffer..

I'm reminded of Tommy Boy from there. The cost of warranties is embedded in the cost of the product. They're also generally due to customer perception, rather than engineering reality.
I don’t disagree with the embedded costs, specially talking about Santa Cruz… But if it wasn’t for a discount on the OneUp, they were both on the same price point.
So price being equal and 1 year vs lifetime warranty, I was trying to gauge how much worth it is the ride feel of one vs the other. That’s all.

From your comments they both seem good, the oneup more comfy. Still undecided though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Santa Cruz is a 600 million dollar company lol. They can spare what's called a "lifetime warranty"...which doesn't mean the product will last a lifetime. And doesn't mean products with a 1 year warranty won't last a lifetime. Handlebars aren't a huge investment anyway... Warranty Schmarranty.

Just buy the one you think looks the best.

edit: Furthermore... if a set of bars do happen to break under me, I wouldn't want to use their warranty replacement anyway. I'd likely change brands.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just came across this post from Oneup. I wonder if the alignment only applies to Oneup stem and bars combo?

If you have another stem, do you have any trick? I was thinking about lining up the flatter part around where the E is (left-hand side as seen from the top) with the head tube angle. It looks like that’s the area where it’s flexing vertically.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Just came across this post from Oneup. I wonder if the alignment only applies to Oneup stem and bars combo?

If you have another stem, do you have any trick? I was thinking about lining up the flatter part around where the E is (left-hand side as seen from the top) with the head tube angle. It looks like that’s the area where it’s flexing vertically.
Stem seam would have to match the Oneup stem, that is certainly not a standard and can vary. I just roll the bars to the angle where I like them.
If you're really paying attention, when i first put them on and really pulling on the bars on a hard climb, you could feel the flex. It's a non issue to me now.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Stem seam would have to match the Oneup stem, that is certainly not a standard and can vary. I just roll the bars to the angle where I like them.
If you're really paying attention, when i first put them on and really pulling on the bars on a hard climb, you could feel the flex. It's a non issue to me now.
There's nothing special about the clamp split on the One Up stem. You can align the bars to any stem that has the split right down the middle. The OneUp instructions say this.

·
Registered
611 Posts
How is the flex on technical rocky downhills I have heard some people don't like the flex then. Same in certain cornering situations. They say they prefer the direct imput from stiff handle bars. Am thinking of trying the one up carbon bars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts