Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
16,052 Posts
Never fall on a rock, curb, tree, another bike, an armadillo , turtle or a teenagers head or any other hard object
and your CF frame should last a long time

on the other hand ; high grade steel frame, you can shot it with a 12 gauge and still ride it another 5 decades easy

Well I don't know much about armadillos but I've tested my carbon frames on most of the other things you listed plus a whole lot more and can attest that they've held up just fine. I admit that if you plan on blasting your bike with a shotgun then steel is probably the better choice,

So I think if you can avoid armadillos and shotgun fire a carbon frame could easily be a lifetime bike.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well I don't know much about armadillos but I've tested my carbon frames on most of the other things you listed plus a whole lot more and can attest that they've held up just fine. I admit that if you plan on blasting your bike with a shotgun then steel is probably the better choice,

So I think if you can avoid armadillos and shotgun fire a carbon frame could easily be a lifetime bike.
This is what Trek says about CF, I do not agree with trek on everything. But on this I do.

Carbon fiber is not indestructible
But like anything, carbon fiber is not indestructible, and not all damage to carbon fiber will be visible. Compare a carbon fiber part to a metal part. When you damage a metal part, it will bend or deform. When you damage a carbon fiber part, it could break or it could conceal damage from the naked eye.

In other words, just because a carbon part looks normal after an impact or accident does not mean that it is safe to ride.”

if a CF has hit an object hard; I would not allow one of my kids to ride it - which is my standard.
On the other hand I have seen thousands of steel frames that have hit curbs, rocks, trees, and such - which I would feel fine with any of my kids riding for the next 50 years.

my point is simple, no material has the durability history of steel. And I would not blink at buying a used steel bike
I would NEVER buy a used CF bike; for the simple reason I could not tell if it is safe by inspection

·
Candlestick Maker
3,230 Posts
As a useless data point, I've broken an aluminum frame, a steel frame, and a carbon frame over my 32 years riding. Now, I'm so paranoid, I just ride Zwift on a wooden Sojourn frame (beautiful). NOT! I'd ride all three again...

I recently added a Ti frame to the mix. Wonderbike? I think not. Just another frame material to be used and abused.

·
monster member
1,103 Posts
I feel like aluminum could be developed further if it was allowed the same investment as CF gets. Ti is dead for 3 reasons (that is all hearsay):

- I think some discussion of alum vs ti is based on 90's stuff, and that is long gone. Aluminum can be hydroformed and butted and curved to give nice ride characteristics
- A lot of bikes are full suspension. No reason for ti with full suspension. Ti is a detriment in this case.
- CF came a long way since the '90s. It's very tough now. They've added things so it doesn't fail. I recently tried to step over my bike, while tired after a ride, and failed to pick up my foot correctly. I NAILED my top tube with my clipless shoe which has a very hard plastic around the toe portion. I feel like it might've left a dent in an aluminum frame top tube but didn't do anything to my CF top tube. Obviously speculation but boy I hit that thing hard. My previous aluminum bike had dents all over the frame. No problem, I kept riding it, but I'm not nice to bikes.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts