Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,694 Posts
(David Attenborough voice, whispering) The elusive Norwegian Killer Turtle moves in on it's prey, the carbon fiber bike frame. The cycle of life continues.
Oh boy, David Attenborough's voice does give me always that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now Giant authorized a return for my problematic Stance, I am looking to replace it with a Trance. Thinking of just the normal Trance, or the Trance Advanced which has carbon fiber frame. I live in Arizona and my garage gets to about 160 °F during the hot summer months.

Will heat damage it, cause it to become brittle?
I would think the worst enemy is Abrasion. Yes UV can break down the clear coa blah blah. But how long you going to be in the sun with it. I would think the various mountain bike rash all your bike is exposed to would be what causes most parts to fail. I got the nic name Torpedo because I crashed so much and I broke about every component you could break on a bike. Abrassion and bashes is the #1 issue with biek parts. I have a kestral carbon handle bar that I put ont he bike back in 2000. It is doing fine, but I am far from the agressive fearless idiot I was then. I think you have way more to worry about in that aspect than any UV break down of the clear coat on the carbon.

·
Registered
526 Posts
^^ Abrasion^^
I have seen several chain stays rubbed through or close to it by a muddy ride and a little heal rub. Seen damaged frames by one shuttle ride where bikes were rubbing together,
Bashes by rocks or crashing, pretty common failure.
Both of these are not warranty concerns.
I have switched to aluminum for my enduro bike but still use carbon for my XC bike. I just take the risks.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Oh boy, David Attenborough's voice does give me always that warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Well, at least until he starts in about how humans are the cause of all the world's problems, then I just wish he'd be quiet and go away...methinks he would have something to say about carbon in landfills. Nope, I'm sure of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tail whip ripped out the rear axle on my carbon Fatboy. Not a carbon failure, but the dumbass overmolded 12x1.0 threaded insert that Special Ed used on the Fatboy. Stupid f-ing design🙈🙈🙈

The carbon Farley has strands of carbon splitting in the left seatstay, they better warranty this, appears to be a frame construction issue.

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
Well, at least until he starts in about how humans are the cause of all the world's problems, then I just wish he'd be quiet and go away...methinks he would have something to say about carbon in landfills. Nope, I'm sure of it.

Got some other species to blame for any of the world's problems?

Producing carbon fiber for toys is an environmental issue worth considering but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't concern me much.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,694 Posts
Maybe not all the problems in the world but lets say landfills that is on us.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,694 Posts
I didn't say he was wrong, just that I don't want to hear about it...
… and then what?
Pretend that this is not happening?
Compared to the death and the negative effect of manmade pollution on our health covid is a drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
38 Posts
High risk/low probability of catastrophic failure unique to Carbon frames is a form of planned obsolescence.

Complex materials such as carbon, electronic shifters, special computers, custom socks, etc etc are capitaliam 101, no matter how you personally feel about the end products. A lot of advances, mostly about comfort, but all driven by intent add consumer cost.

The whole carbon concept is a textbook profit driven change whose only intent is to increase profits, decrease longevity, reduce used/ re-sale market share. It increases performance of course, as a bonus but it really only increases the extremism and performance of the top professional (again, manufacturer paid) 0.01% of riders.

Every part on your bike is designed to diminsh performance within a year or two of regular hard riding and require replacement in another 1-2 years at most.

Except the frame.

That is a problem carbon is working overtime to solve for the industry. E Bikes and covid swerved the market but I firmly believe within a few more years your carbon frame will be a subscription/leased product.

Specialization of materials is designed first and foremost to make sure you need special proprietary tools and special high cost maintainence.

The debates is if the benefits of inctaesed riding costs are acceptable to the consumer. They are to me generally. But my choise is that I won't ride carbon. I am not sponsor subsidized, I don't want to worry more about my bike on the rack than on the trail and, I can't ethically sell a well used carbon frame to any random rider of unknown expertise with the materials.

Carbon makes people who get bikes for free better at advancing the progressivism of extremism. It gives good riders an advantage they don't require (imho) to set and meet high end goals.

It makes average riders like me get sucked into what I call the "Sport of REI", wherein spending the money becomes a bigger part of the adventure/achievement experience cycle than what one heroic Grand Canyon swimmer simply called "The Doing of The Thing" .

·
Registered
852 Posts
High risk low probability of catastrophic failure is a form of planned obsolescence. Complex materials such as carbon, electronic shiftets, special computers, custom socks, etc etc are forward denial of right to repair and classroom advantage taking of consumers by corporations. It's capitaliam 101, no matter how you personally feel about the end products.
Good grief, carbon fiber frames are much more repairable than aluminum.

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
High risk/low probability of catastrophic failure unique to Carbon frames is a form of planned obsolescence.

Complex materials such as carbon, electronic shifters, special computers, custom socks, etc etc are capitaliam 101, no matter how you personally feel about the end products. A lot of advances, mostly about comfort, but all driven by intent add consumer cost.

The whole carbon concept is a textbook profit driven change whose only intent is to increase profits, decrease longevity, reduce used/ re-sale market share. It increases performance of course, as a bonus but it really only increases the extremism and performance of the top professional (again, manufacturer paid) 0.01% of riders.

Every part on your bike is designed to diminsh performance within a year or two of regular hard riding and require replacement in another 1-2 years at most.

Except the frame.

That is a problem carbon is working overtime to solve for the industry. E Bikes and covid swerved the market but I firmly believe within a few more years your carbon frame will be a subscription/leased product.

Specialization of materials is designed first and foremost to make sure you need special proprietary tools and special high cost maintainence.

The debates is if the benefits of inctaesed riding costs are acceptable to the consumer. They are to me generally. But my choise is that I won't ride carbon. I am not sponsor subsidized, I don't want to worry more about my bike on the rack than on the trail and, I can't ethically sell a well used carbon frame to any random rider of unknown expertise with the materials.

Carbon makes people who get bikes for free better at advancing the progressivism of extremism. It gives good riders an advantage they don't require (imho) to set and meet high end goals.

It makes average riders like me get sucked into what I call the "Sport of REI", wherein spending the money becomes a bigger part of the adventure/achievement experience cycle than what one heroic Grand Canyon swimmer simply called "The Doing of The Thing" .

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
(David Attenborough voice, whispering) The elusive Norwegian Killer Turtle moves in on it's prey, the carbon fiber bike frame. The cycle of life continues.
This is no joke. I stopped for a quick selfie and a Norwegian Killer Turtle had my bike (Ripley carbon frame) before I knew what had happened.
Bicycle Glasses Wheel Tire Smile

·
Registered
Spot Ryve 115
48 Posts
Good grief, carbon fiber frames are much more repairable than aluminum.
And also have virtually infinite fatigue life. Unlike Aluminum frame that get softer after years of use. Steel and Titanium also get weaker after decades of use as well but not degrading nearly as fast as aluminum. But carbon bike, as long as it doesn't crack by hard impact, it stay the same stiffness.
So, Carbon bike is more of a forever frame than Steel, Titanium and Aluminum bike

21 - 40 of 74 Posts