Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now Giant authorized a return for my problematic Stance, I am looking to replace it with a Trance. Thinking of just the normal Trance, or the Trance Advanced which has carbon fiber frame. I live in Arizona and my garage gets to about 160 °F during the hot summer months.

Will heat damage it, cause it to become brittle?

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,036 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all about carbon in a garage. I also live in AZ (West PHX). a July garage is no joke. It legit is 140+ F depending on which way the house faces.
It's super hard on Stans and probably not great for tires, seals or a few other parts, but not a carbon frame.

·
Registered
Spot Ryve 115
48 Posts
Carbon is anisotropic composite material.
Strength:
1) It has virtually infinite fatigue life-- if you never go over its plastic deformation state. So you can use it over a hundred years without it get softer and weaker and eventually break.
Unlike metal frame (especially aluminum, 7 years old aluminum frame can be measurably weaker than a new one). So, time is not your enemy.
2) On-plane stiffness is excellent. Same weight carbon frame can carry more rider weight without getting damage.

Weakness:
a) Off-plane impact. It's anisotropic. Although it has very high strength in a certain direction. It's weak off axis. So, drop a heavy tool on top tube can initiate hair line crack on some light road frame. MTB frame normally reinforce impact resistance everywhere on the frame though. So this is less of a concern on MTB.
b) Voids from production. Being composite material. Void of epoxy in certain area can dramatically weaken the frame.
c) UV. Carbon is fine in UV light. But Carbon fiber is carbon+epoxy. Epoxy degrade with UV exposure. Luckily, top layer coat (and paint) on carbon frameset block all the UV from reaching the frame. This is only a concern if you have a big paint scar that you leave it expose.
d) Extreme heat. Epoxy get softer and weaker at high temperature, This is mostly a concern for carbon clincher wheelset on rim brake road bike. Heat from brake track weaken overall rim structure. Eventually, clincher hook give up and tear apart causing complete rim failure. Note that, some rim tape fail before reaching this point so it's a safeguard against cooking the rim.

EDIT: "On-plane"

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,476 Posts
CF composite construction strength is related to how hot the curing temperature was. The warmer the curing temperature, generally the better the strength. For a long while, the FAA required all composite aircraft be painted white, to reject heat, if they were operated beyond their curing temp, there could be a loss of strength. This was more related to operation though, not storing. With better epoxy/resin formulas, this is not nearly the issue that it used to be and composite aircraft are being painted darker colors. If you ever have to repair your CF frame though, your garage sounds like an excellent place to cure it! I wouldn't worry about this, as the other people said, you'll have a harder time with tires and especially the tubeless sealant. It will dry fast. You can mix some propylene glycol and water and inject that every couple weeks to help keep the latex liquid.

Reactions: Ridinglurker

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,149 Posts
being on a rear rack, in exhaust path, this heat can and has wrecked frames and cf wheels

the other enemy is incorrect clamping in bike repair stand

you have metal bosses, like water bottle bosses ?
if poorly made or just old, water/sweat + the metal anchor +carbon frame = corrosion that can start delamination

·
furker
611 Posts
Seriously though, getting featured on Friday Fails is probably the biggest risk. The bigger the crash, the bigger the risk to carbon. Maybe the next biggest risk might be putting it into a bike rack on top of a car, and then driving the car into a 160 degree garage?

The heat itself in the garage isn't going to be a big risk

1 - 20 of 74 Posts