Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha!

I have a new Niner RLT RDO (carbon fiber) gravel bike, which has been pressed into service for causal riding on weekends and community at least once a week. It a great bike and I love it, however… There’s a creak. I think it’s coming from the seat post. I have checked and rechecked the torque on ALL bolts. My fear was it was the press fit bottom bracket but testing makes me believe it’s the seat post. The creak is only present when I pedal from the saddle. I found that if I stand up there’s no creaking. I’ve also asked a friend (much lighter than myself) to give it a ride. He didn’t have any creaking. I’m assuming at this point its my (considerable) mass that causing the creaking. I recently applied MuckOff “Caron Grip” paste to the seat post, which I had hoped would cure the noise, but hasn’t. The weight is a “in progress” factor, but progress is good, (10 pounds in a few weeks). Thank to diet and daily exercise.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Last night I tried to get a noise from the saddle, saddle rails, seat post pivot with my hands but could get a noise out of it either my arms are to weak or the creaking is coming from deeper down the seat post. Both seem possible.

I'll be address the seat post again tonight by removing the saddle, cleaning the rails, and cleaning the pivot point. I'll inspect to see if I can see signs of wear or rubbing on each.

Questions for the board: should I grease the pivot point at the saddle mount?

·
DFMBA.org
1,941 Posts
View attachment 1943975

Last night I tried to get a noise from the saddle, saddle rails, seat post pivot with my hands but could get a noise out of it either my arms are to weak or the creaking is coming from deeper down the seat post. Both seem possible.

I'll be address the seat post again tonight by removing the saddle, cleaning the rails, and cleaning the pivot point. I'll inspect to see if I can see signs of wear or rubbing on each.

Questions for the board: should I grease the pivot point at the saddle mount?
I've never had to grease that area. Creaking can also possibly be coming from where the rails connect to the plastic saddle shell itself. I have had to grease those areas before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
941 Posts
A small amount of grease will take any creaking away.
I do it all the time.
Specially if you ride in wet and muddy conditions.
But I am sure if it is dry and dusty....... over time it will get dry and could possibly creak.
Good luck!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I tried a Ergon seat last year, as soon as I sat on the bike it creaked like crazy. Traced it to where the rails inserted into the rear part of the seat. Yanked it and returned it 😋. Anyway, check there, a little pressing and twisting should reveal if it's a seat issue 👍

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spent the after dinner hours, greasing, carbon pasting, and tightening (to the correct torque) and still it creaks. I was able to catch audio of the creak. (but can't figure out how to upload it)

I am confident its not the seat, as I'm on an after market seat, but the creak was there out of the box, with the OEM seat. I'm in fact starting to wonder if its the saddle/seat post at all as I was able to get the bike to creak while out of the saddle. My concern is that it is the bottom bracket.

The seat post pivot looks a mess (see attachment), but I'm unsure if this is normal or if I should ask for a replacement.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Wheel Bicycle handlebar Material property

The question is, am I may start another thread for it. How do I test to know if my bottom bracket is the source of creaking noises?

It only creaks while I'm pedaling (standing or seated). The sound is coming from under me. All efforts to shake, twist, rattle or force the seat post and saddle have no results.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to try an alloy seat post and the original saddle. After a quick swap, I took it for a short test ride, but didn't need more than a few turns of the cranks. The creak is still there, even with a complete swap of the saddle and seat post. Deep sigh.

The bike comes with a press fit bottom bracket, which I've heard are prone to creaking. I was hoping that wasn't the case. The bike comes with an Easton PF30.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If this is your normal seat position, you've exceeded the max aft position.
I think the image above is from mis-adjustment, or while trying to manually get it to creak. This is the current saddle location.
Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Bicycle part Bicycle

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.