Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was the best forum to get advice. I know Carbon HT high end frames have some durability issues...but my question is this:
Will a FS carbon frame like the Orbea Oiz take some stress off the frame given it will relieve some stress due to the rear suspension? If I compare the Oreba Alma (HT) and the Orbea Oiz (FS)...which would you say has more durability?

It may not even make a difference, but I'm no expert on frame stress points.

http://www.orbea-usa.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=70&pid=157
http://orbea09.ironfly.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=70&pid=410

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a full carbon bike, purely because of the price to fix them if they brake. The frame is considerably lighter then most comps, but in my opinion a Specialized or Trek comp would be just as good. These bikes, in a higher model usually offer XTR or X.0 components, whereas the ones you have listed offer XT components. As an owner of 3 different bikes (Specialized Epic Pro Marathon S-Works Full Carbon and suspension, Trek 4300 HT, and a Motobecane Fantom Team FS), I would say the best of the three is the Fantom team from Bikesdirect.com for around $1,895 which is full XTR and sub 24 pounds in a Medium full suspension frame. This bike is made in the same shops as specialized and trek and are extremely tuff and comfortable. If you have the money to buy and fix the Full Carbon full suspension buy it, it looks good, but an upgrade of the components would be a must. Good Luck!

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
MTBERMISS said:
I wouldn't recommend a full carbon bike, purely because of the price to fix them if they brake. The frame is considerably lighter then most comps, but in my opinion a Specialized or Trek comp would be just as good. These bikes, in a higher model usually offer XTR or X.0 components, whereas the ones you have listed offer XT components. As an owner of 3 different bikes (Specialized Epic Pro Marathon S-Works Full Carbon and suspension, Trek 4300 HT, and a Motobecane Fantom Team FS), I would say the best of the three is the Fantom team from Bikesdirect.com for around $1,895 which is full XTR and sub 24 pounds in a Medium full suspension frame. This bike is made in the same shops as specialized and trek and are extremely tuff and comfortable. If you have the money to buy and fix the Full Carbon full suspension buy it, it looks good, but an upgrade of the components would be a must. Good Luck!
what?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
ptfmb71 said:
If I compare the Oreba Alma (HT) and the Orbea Oiz (FS)...which would you say has more durability?

It may not even make a difference, but I'm no expert on frame stress points.
Like any other material, carbon fiber durability depends on the design and manufacturing. Orba has a good name. Durability doesn't matter if full suspension or HT. Obviously there's more stress potential with full suspension because it's easier to ride more difficult and therefore more dangerous conditions. Check their warranty.

I've been riding the Ibis Mojo full carbon fiber for almost 4 years, set up for gnarly trails and chair access downhill park riding, but I do ride lots of relatively easy XC near home to stay in shape for the more interesting AM trails farther away.

I didn't want CF. I bought it for the suspension design and most versatile AM frame geometry, and it didn't hurt that the frame is 2 to 3 pounds lighter than metal bikes with equivalent big hit durability.

Watching CF closely now for 4 years it appears that if the CF doesn't fail due to factory defect within the first 10 to 20 rides, it will far outlast in fatigue life a similar use metal bike. Well designed CF doesn't have the stress risers that welded or bent or double butted metal has that usually fails first from fatigue. And well designed CF crash damage is usually a delamination and is almost always ridable back to the trail head, which is safer that something that might bend or break beyond ridable when your 10 miles out and running low on water.

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
Honestly, full carbon is no less durable than any other material- anything that'll damage carbon will almost certainly damage a metal frame too. The only thing about the Oiz is that it's a relatively new design and it'll be really hard to tell how it'll perform long term. It looks really nice though; I'd be all over one if I had the funds.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Im a new member to MTBR.COM and I just gave an honest opinion on a CF frame. I didnt buy my Motobecane or other bikes from Bike shops or online sites. I bought the USED Motobecane frame and the others used from previous owners on ebay and so far out of the many bikes i have demoed it is the best. Bikesdirect (check it) is the cheapest place to buy the complete bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not Spam

Im a new member to MTBR.COM and I just gave an honest opinion on a CF frame. I didnt buy my Motobecane or other bikes from Bike shops or online sites. I bought the USED Motobecane frame and the others used from previous owners on ebay and so far out of the many bikes i have demoed it is the best. Bikesdirect (check it) is the cheapest place to buy the complete bike.

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
Durability from typical riding stress is NOT the issue.

Most who have an issue/beef with CF will cite durability to IMPACTS which are more common in mountain biking than road biking (racing excluded).

While carbon as a material certainly has different crash weaknesses and failure modes, I, personally, am not convinced it's significantly more likely to fail than a comparable lightweight aluminum racing frame. And of course manufacturing and design play huge roles; carbon can be mighty strong and durable if you aren't trying to build the lightest possible frame, but it can snap like a twig if you aren't careful too...sounds darn similar to Aluminum and Steel.... YMMV

(in the interest of full disclosure I don't own a full carbon mountain bike. I do have a YETI with a carbon swingarm and a full carbon roadie)

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
MTBERMISS said:
Wrong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Right.

I've had to fix both a Carbon Fiber and a Higher grade aluminum frame- both had the same problem. The CF cost more then $300 to fix- The aluminum frame cost just over $110 to fix. They both perform about the same, however the CF frame looks better, but isn't worth the difference. They both are pretty even when it comes to strength, so if you have the money to fix the CF then buy it. If you only have the money to fix the aluminum frame buy the alumium frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.