Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mathlete
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all you DIY carbon frame builders. I am just about to make the leap and try building one myself. There are a couple of details I am still not 100% sure about. I am curious as how you fixed your hard parts such as the bottom bracket and head tube into your frames? I have seen people who have bonded fiberglass wrapped metal tubing to the some type of substrate like foam or in some instances balsa wood, and then wrapped the carbon around the two media. Is that all that is needed?

For this project, I will probably go the "moldless" route. Is the foam left inside once everything is "wrapped"? How many of piles CF are at the high load such as the bottom bracket and head tube? Any pictures and processes you all would like to share on how you did this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fiberglass around the metal bits and you'll be fine, or Ti maybe?

"moldless route"?? Do you mean your taking foam and wrapping with cf? If so, you'll have to do test pieces first to see how many plys are needed for strength.

Foam would be left inside after wrapping is my understanding.

·
mathlete
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, by moldless I mean to build a core then wrap the reinforcing materials around it.

As far as the number of piles goes I was just looking for input from others who may have done something similar in the past. I'm not looking for lab tested empirical data. I read over Damon Rinards' articles on his road bike. I figured I'd just add more material than what is shown on his site.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts