Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rigid carbon forks exist on the market today that can be used on a 29er that originally came with a 100mm travel fork without throwing the geometry off? Do the White Bros. and Niner forks fit the bill? Any other more budget friendly options?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
well since no one has really answered your question.

zuuds said:
What rigid carbon forks exist on the market today that can be used on a 29er that originally came with a 100mm travel fork without throwing the geometry off? Do the White Bros. and Niner forks fit the bill? Any other more budget friendly options?
I will see if I can help a little.

The white bothers that I have is has an axle to crown of 465mm, it is suspension adjusted for a 80 mm fork. The niner fork is 470, so your a little closer... They both have the same rake of 45mm.

Hope that helps..

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Loki said:
I will see if I can help a little.

The white bothers that I have is has an axle to crown of 465mm, it is suspension adjusted for a 80 mm fork. The niner fork is 470, so your a little closer... They both have the same rake of 45mm.

Hope that helps..
Yep, and 490mm is considered correct to replace a 100mm susp fork. I don't remember seeing any 490mm carbon forks though

Best you can probably do is running the longest available carbon fork with a Plus 5 headset from Cane Creek to effectively lengthen it a bit further.

·
Registered
473 Posts
King makes a 7mm tall crown race to get you that smidge closer.

I dont know if the King race would work with the CC plus 5, but that would net 12mm. Add that to the 470 Niner Fork and you are pretty close at total 482, especially if you used to run the fork with lowere pressure/more sag.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
TiRyder said:
King makes a 7mm tall crown race to get you that smidge closer.

I dont know if the King race would work with the CC plus 5, but that would net 12mm. Add that to the 470 Niner Fork and you are pretty close at total 482, especially if you used to run the fork with lowere pressure/more sag.
Not compatible from what I remember. I didn't know they made a 7mm too. More options is good; I could only remember the High Five crown race

·
Registered
473 Posts
boomn said:
Not compatible from what I remember. I didn't know they made a 7mm too. More options is good; I could only remember the High Five crown race
Yeah, I run a seven on my moots with Fox fork. The 5 would have cleared it barely, and I went with the 7 just incase there was any weird pressure going on in a wreck, didnt want the Fox knob to score or otherwise muck up the DT

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Jwiffle said:
Niner used to offer a 490mm A-C carbon fork; they now produce their forks with 470mm. Maybe you can find a 490mm one floating around.
I think you are thinking of their steel fork, which used to be 490mm only but now they offer both. The carbon fork is brand new and 470mm only; unless there are some pre-production prototypes that were 490mm

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Yogii said:
20 mm is not a heck of a lot. Tires at 18psi or 40 psi????
But when fork length is the only thing that changes it could be quite noticeable in handling and could drop the BB too low for rock clearance on certain bikes and trails. Switching out the 470mm rigid that my bike was designed for with my 100mm susp fork raises the BB by ~1/2"; I wouldn't want to do the opposite to any bike that has a low BB height to begin with. Also, the head angle would steepen by ~1 degree or maybe even a hair more, which might not be desirable on some 29ers that already have 72deg HA's or even steeper

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know what the axle to crown measurement is on a 100mm travel Rockshox Reba with about 20-25% sag dialed in? I'd measure it myself, but Idon't have the bike yet :p

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
zuuds said:
Does anyone know what the axle to crown measurement is on a 100mm travel Rockshox Reba with about 20-25% sag dialed in? I'd measure it myself, but Idon't have the bike yet :p
2008 and earlier is 510mm without sag
starting in 2009 it is 506mm without sag

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
boomn said:
2008 and earlier is 510mm without sag
starting in 2009 it is 506mm without sag
Aha! Well then 506mm - 25mm sag = 481mm, so the 470mm Niner fork is only a 11mm difference = good to go? If that messes up the geometry/handling, adding the Cane Creek +5mm headset would cut that to 6mm.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
That assumes the geometry is calculated with sag and not the static a/c measurement of the fork. If static a/c is used, you'll end up with a steeper HT angle than spec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts