Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the carbon forks seem to have an A-C distance of 465mm, and the Niner fork on my SIR 9 is 490mm.

Are there any longer carbon forks and has anyone used a 465mm carbon fork and how much sharper was the steering?

I generally do only XC and a few endurance events, not too much rough stuff.

Perhaps, more importantly, is there any point in spending money on a carbon fork when the Niner is quite good?

Thanks guys

And a couple if pics, now that I have my weight weenie (well for me anyway) wheels, (XTR hubs, Wheelsmith bd spokes, Delgado Race rims) , I promise that I won't spend any more money on it.

Thats it , it's finished.

Maybe.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
hi don't know about the fork but

wanted to ask how d'u like you'r wheel's my lbs is building the same setup
and i am 260 hope they hold up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've had the Pace on my SIR-9 and it totally jacked up the geometry and turned into a twitch machine. Not to mention it didn't improve the ride (IMHO). The Niner forks totally rock for rigid and can handle a good deal more abuse (I'm 220).

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
If you really wanted to sweeten the ride, consider a custom Ti fork from Black Sheep! They can make any A-to-C and rake you want, with a nice ride quality.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
The Niner fork also has a relatively short offset of 40mm, while the carbon forks have offsets in the mid-40s, which will make the steering lighter/faster on top of any changes from it being shorter. I haven't ridden the Niner fork, but its high-end steel and is color/brand-matched - hard to beat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike - I really need to be told that, just so I would blow more money on a fork don't really need. Thanks

Shade13 - I'm only 160 lbs and they feel OK to me, not as stiff as my TK7.1 / DT 14G champion spoke wheels, but good enough for me. But from what I have learn't here on MTBR the wheelbuilder is an important factor. I am certainly no Pro wheel builder, I just spoke 'em up, make 'em look straight and go.

Perhaps you should consult Mikesee or someone, my gut feeling is they would be a bit weak for a 260 lb rider, especially if you ride a bit hard, but I'm really talking through my a$$.

Ryder1- that's a good point about the offset, I probably wouldn't want it much twitchier than it is.

mtbjedi1 - I have a long term plan for a Black sheep SS with in Ti, on the back burner till I get the money. And I should sell a bike or 2, three 29ers should be my limit.

Thanks for the considered replies.

Rob

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
multipost sorry

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
multipost sorry