Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On one hand i'm surprised this isn't more of a thing. On the other hand, i guess the typical XC demographic isn't riding flats so the demand just isn't there.

Despite that, there's a few options if you dig deeper. After scouring the AliSuckspress, i found a couple to experiment with on my new WW build.

The first item was a set of Zeray ZP-D213 weighing in at 238g. These aren't carbon in the sense we're used to, rather a composite of nylon reinforced with carbon fibers as it would seem Lighter/stronger/cheaper than plain PA6, but not as light as pure CF. But being nylon, the strength should be a known quantity. An all around average flat pedal in the areas of features, pins, size, etc.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835182770.html

The second is a complete CF pedal with a Titanium axle. Much lighter at 162g but the size is comical. I personally run a larger flat pedal and these seem like they'll be unusable to me. Still, the weight is admirable. another downside is that it seems rather exposed with respect to the end of the axle. But the strength is unknown at this point. Perhaps the smaller size is because of whatever limits the CF construction may impose (assuming any structural analysis went into these at all).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964992300.html

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Interesting alternative to the Xpedo Spry (270g, Magnesium body, ~$60/pair). I've had Sprys for a couple of years now and been pretty happy with them. I'd be interested to see some folks here test these AliExpress pedals out and see how durable they are. If they hold up well they could be a viable substitute for the Spry.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Great post! I'm also surprised this hasn't come up before (to my knowledge) as there's no reason to discount flats if you're a WW.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I rode the all carbon/titanium flats yesterday for the first time and have a few things to share. I did a 10 mi ride with 1000' elevation which is all ups and downs (very little flat) so i had my share of seated climbing and standing dh runs. More of a hilly XC ride so there was no real gnarly hucks or jumps other than a few rooty hops and stair step drops. They held up fine meaning they didn't blow apart at the seams, but its not all roses either. One of the pins worked its way out so thats lost for good. Also said pins are very blunt and not grippy whatsoever but they are removable, so one could sharpen them if so inclined. Also the footprint is comically tiny. I was riding my rigid xc bike and i was trying to press and curl my foot over these pedals for any additional grip i could eek out, my foot was cramping up in the process.

I think i'll switch over to those Zeray's instead.

pros:
very light
seems sufficiently durable (i'm 220lbs geared up and they survived me)

cons:
tiny footprint, too tiny for an adult but probably fine for a child.
pin threads are shallow and can unscrew while riding.
pins not grippy at all (feet slipping around too much), not replaceable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Interesting alternative to the Xpedo Spry (270g, Magnesium body, ~$60/pair). I've had Sprys for a couple of years now and been pretty happy with them. I'd be interested to see some folks here test these AliExpress pedals out and see how durable they are. If they hold up well they could be a viable substitute for the Spry.

i have herd they do not grip that well, do you run the stock pins?? been looking at these, seems to be options to replace the stock pins with pointy ones, just wondering any info would be great you cant beat the price of these pedals

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have herd they do not grip that well, do you run the stock pins?? been looking at these, seems to be options to replace the stock pins with pointy ones, just wondering any info would be great you cant beat the price of these pedals
If you mean the carbon/titanium pedals with the red pins, then no, they don't grip very well at all. Pics are definitley too blunt! No idea if there are alternate pins available but If you had a way to sharpen the existing ones (they're threaded in), it could work, however, the platform itself if pretty small (which may not matter if it fits your foot). My big size 14's were a bit too large for them. I still have these and took them off after the 1st ride and would sell them cheap but know that one of the pins worked its way out so its lost.

OTOH, i have been running the Zeray's every since removing the carbon/titanium pedals and they have been great. Plenty of grip and a slightly larger platform for my big ass feets.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a size comparison between the carbon/titanium pedal and a set of One Up's on my other bike. Huge difference in footprint!

IMG_20200924_220710.jpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
I went to the Sprys from RF Chesters and honestly the Spry's don't provide the same level of grip as the sharper pins on the Chesters. That said, the Sprys grip is good enough for the sort of riding I do so I've never felt the need to experiment with replacing the stock pins with something taller and/or sharper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts