Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these are most likely questions people could debate the answers to but I've got a FSA K Force Carbon XC handlebar I'm considering using on my El Capitan. I'm 260 pounds and I'm wondering if its a stupid idea at my weight?

Also I'm keen on a gravity dropper and I'm wondering how that would go underneath my hefty arse?

Josh

· Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
You should be OK

I'm not a big proponent of CF parts for clydes, but my real concern is more in carbon seatposts than bars. (Not sure why, as catastrophic failure of either spells disaster. I guess my perception is that the post is more likely to snap than the bars, but I digress). As for the Gravity Dropper, I know of one failure. Check the recent post by kapusta in the AM or GD board for details. Other than that, a lot of folks in the Turner forum use the Gravity Dropper seatpost. See what their take on the risk would be, but my guess is that you'll get the thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Bob

· Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm in the Carbon is not for clyde mountain bikers camp.

No expirience with the gravity droppers but would like to hear what you find out. I've thought about them as well

· Registered
450 Posts
dwnhlldav said:

No expirience with the gravity droppers but would like to hear what you find out. I've thought about them as well
If you want the ability to drop the saddle for downhill / technical sections,,, you may take a look at a hite-rite by Breeze and Angle from the 1980's, you can find em on ebay, usually for about 15.00, and while not as hi tech as a gravity dropper, the results are the same, for less weight and a simple solution. I have used them since they were new ;) lol
I would NOT use them on a carbon seat post however...

· Registered
54 Posts
I am sorry, I tend not to believe most that is written in the forums about carbon fiber bars being a safety hazard. I have been reading about broken carbon handle bars for years now, but have never actually seen a picture of broken bars from normal use. I have used CF in my sports/racecars for years. CF is incredibly strong when used in which the component was designed: its ratio of strength to weight—is as much as ten times that of steel. CF can also be very brittle when forces are placed on it in a different manner which the component was designed, leading to catastrophic failure since it doesn’t bend, but breaks. With that said, given the litigation happy people in the US, I find it hard to believe that Easton or any other company would create a CF product with potential product liability like they are described in most of the forums. If I used a carbon bar and it snapped during riding as it was intended to be used, I would be owning a piece of the manufacturer. I would be interested in seeing a few pictures, and explanation on how they were broken.

The only reason I would not consider a CF post is because a seat is raised and lowered on a regular basis which may damage the epoxy and or CF fibers weaking it's construction. If I didn't lower and raise my seat, I would have one without a second thought. I am a happy CF bar (Easton) owner. Btw…6’4” 275lbs.

· Registered
3,976 Posts
Paranoid_Android said:
Thanks for the advice :)
The gravity dropper at your weight is a bit iffy. I weigh 180# and I've broken mine already.

To be fair, I had the original design and it was the forward facing model. Since then, they've beefed up the design and can make a rearward facing model that's even stronger. That's what I'm on now and so far, so good.

To GD's credit, their customer service was great.

Give Wayne at GD a call and discuss it with him. If he telss you it's OK... you're good to go:thumbsup:

About CF bars... AT your weight, using CF bars makes no sense to me at all. The weight savings is minimal and at your weight, the % gain is infinitesimal. Go with a beefy DH bar and strong stem. THere are very few parts on the bike as important as the handlebars when it comes to safety. When they break, the chances are high that you will get hurt.... possibly badly hurt.

I only use CF bars on my short travel XC bike... and I weigh 80 pounds less than you.

· Glad to Be Alive
42,878 Posts
dwnhlldav said:

true dat

carbon + clydes = no good and dangerous

· callipygian rondure
307 Posts
Silly.
I have been using the same Monkey Lite for more than three years and have had it on a hardtail and a four inch travel bike. I am 6'3" and have been as high as 260.
I do tend to roll more than huck, but either way it is no problem, despite crashes, etc.
Carbon is used on planes weighing tons that are propelled by jet engines. I'm sure it'll handle me. When I replace it, it will be carbon again.
FWIW, it didn't buy it for weight savings, I bought it to save my forearms. Which it does nicely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.