Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybodey use the stuff for mountain biking? i see theirs carbon fiber handlebars, stems, seatposts, and even frames used now for mountain biking which i used to think were exclusive to road bikes :eekster:

Im not really interested in a carbon fiber frame, but the components im kinda curious in :thumbsup:

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,452 Posts
wildkyle90 said:
Anybodey use the stuff for mountain biking? i see theirs carbon fiber handlebars, stems, seatposts, and even frames used now for mountain biking which i used to think were exclusive to road bikes :eekster:

Im not really interested in a carbon fiber frame, but the components im kinda curious in :thumbsup:
This is a joke, right?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha guys no joke... I will take the flame tho its alight... Where i live there arnt too many expensive bikes, so no carbon fiber. This is a learning expierience for me...

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
What's to know? There's carbon handle bars, carbon stems, carbon seatposts (heck, even carbon seats), carbon forks, carbon brake levers, carbon derailleur parts, carbon rims, faux carbon pretty bits...what are you interested in other than lightening your wallet? Personally aside from a carbon bike frame I bought in 93 and a set of brake lever blades on some new brakes this year, I avoid carbon. My older road bike has a partial carbon frame, but other than that no carbon on the roadies either, now that I think about it. I guess I'm just not carbon friendly (somewhat seriously, the worst bike/component breaks I've seen are carbon related).

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
How's this horse still alive? I thought we had beaten it to death, repeatedly.

I'll sum it up for you: Carbon is either a) God's gift to mountain biking, or b) if you put anything carbon on your bike it will surely fail and you will die. Both answers are correct, depending on who you ask.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ride a Cannondale Rush Carbon with too many carbon fiber upgrades to list. Heck, even my jerseys and shoes have carbon fiber in them. I love the way it rides and its weight reduction. I wouldn't want to use it for downhill, but for what I do it works great.

·
Registered
416 Posts
rkee2010 said:
Do you really think someone would use a $5000 bike to ride around the block?
Yeah, it happens. Some people want to show that they can buy "the best," even if they don't have the need for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well if there are really people out there that would do that they need to get some counseling. If you look at my bike however it's still covered in mud from my last race. There may be people that go out and buy "the best" but I'm not one of them. I don't have the money to waste on unnecessary things.

686 Posts
I found going to carbon handle bars (from aluminium) made them a lot stiffer... I though people talking about flex etc was all rubbish untill I got the bars (FSA k-force). Although I did go from the 25.4 to 31.8 diameter bars, which i'm sure made a difference.
The only other carbon part on my bike is the brake levers (avid elixir cr).....
They dont feel as cold as metal levers, which is good i guess :thumbsup:

My opinion.... theres nothing wrong with carbon on a mountain bike. Lots of people say it'll fail catastrophically, which is will, but it's much stronger, and stiffer, and has better fatigue resistance than aluminium anyway.
I've had a few crashes on my carbon bars, theyre XC and i use them for a lot of All Mountain..... no problems
Most important thing is, make sure you torque the parts on properly- get yourself a good torque wrench. Too tight and the parts will fail. Any sign of a crack and you should stop using it, unless its just a minor scratch in the clearcoat.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,955 Posts
I have carbon brake levers and carbon headset spacers. Looking at a carbon bottle cage.

A few years ago, I had a carbon low-rise bar on my HT; made the front end feel silly-light, but felt every little bit of vibe and buzz.

I'm satisfied with what I have, and don't feel the need to explore further. Frames, wheels, etc....no thanks.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
i have had monkeylite carbon dh bars on both my dh and xc/am bike with no problems. I have a giant nrs carbon that used to get riden alot, really pretty hard sometimes,people were telling me it was gonna esplode someday,well it never did ,and now it only gets an occasional ride.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,968 Posts
Carbon is stronger than everything else out there now. Let's stop living in the dark ages about carbon fragility.

·
fliernh
348 Posts
Carbon frame and lots of carbon goodies. It rides so nice, you could not pry it out of my fingers.... Don't NEED it but I sure do love it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
indyfab25 said:
Carbon is stronger than everything else out there now. Let's stop living in the dark ages about carbon fragility.
carbon fiber Is stronger but not as durable it WILL wear faster than Al or steel guaranteed so there is no dark age ignorance about the subject.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts