Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw this frame (wont mention the brand) on sale and was wondering if a CF frame
riding XC/trail would last as long as an aluminum? I've read horror stories about handlebars cracking, seatposts, etc.

Ok here is the frame I saw, it was on the latest nashbar flyer:

Fuji SLM Carbon Mountain Bike Frame - Bike Frames

I was thinking about putting skinny 1.90 tires/slicks on it and using it for a lightweight around town beater

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,885 Posts
There is nothing wrong with CF longevity. Hell iv'e seen CF frames last all the way up until they fail.;) BTW FatCat you are certainly starting up quite a few threads asking ridiculous questions for someone who has self claimed been mtbing for twenty years.:eek: I sometimes feel like I made a mistake and clicked on the " Beginners Corner" forum while reading your threads.:confused:like here http://forums.mtbr.com/california-socal/28er-bike-739145.html5

Reactions: laherna

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dirtjunkie, I appreciate your comments and yes I have been riding for a few years. However
asking questions today in 2011 about things make for fresh answers say perhaps if they were asked in 2002. When you look into your wife's eyes and tell her U love her today means a lot too, instead of telling her, well I told you in 1999 I loved you so if you cant remember, well too bad.:thumbsup: have a good day and wear underwear

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
When you look into your wife's eyes and tell her U love her today means a lot too, instead of telling her, well I told you in 1999 I loved you so if you cant remember, well too bad.:thumbsup: have a good day and wear underwear
This post is full of WIN. :thumbsup:

·
_
850 Posts
There is nothing wrong with CF longevity. Hell iv'e seen CF frames last all the way up until they fail.;) BTW FatCat you are certainly starting up quite a few threads asking ridiculous questions for someone who has self claimed been mtbing for twenty years.:eek: I sometimes feel like I made a mistake and clicked on the " Beginners Corner" forum while reading your threads.:confused:like here http://forums.mtbr.com/california-socal/28er-bike-739145.html5
truth, and what does this thread have to do with socal?

btw, it looks like he is back on a site that he was recently banned from.

**edit, he was just banned again.**

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
uh Bdee, just want to let u know---do your homework before you spill something. You "banned" my friend Al, he's an avid biker as well. He works at the same office, thus the same internet address. Also I wasn't banned I quit. You sound like one of those conservative OC republicans chanting rhetoric without doing any homework. But you're right, this thread doesnt have much to do with socal, so shoot me.

·
_
850 Posts
uh Bdee, just want to let u know---do your homework before you spill something. You "banned" my friend Al, he's an avid biker as well.
i didnt ban anyone.

Also I wasn't banned I quit.
i suppose that is technically true, however you had it coming.

You sound like one of those conservative OC republicans chanting rhetoric without doing any homework.
im not from OC, nor am i a republican.

But you're right, this thread doesnt have much to do with socal,
this wouldn't be your first OT thread.

so shoot me.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,936 Posts
Don't buy one. Buy one. Don't buy one. Buy one.

You obviously have reservations about a carbon bike and components. If you are looking for support on an Internet forum you will get facts, opinions, and lots of crazy talk. "I knew this guy who's boss's neighbor had a girlfriend who's hairdresser heard that....."

Realize the forums are full of speculators, liars, and honest people. Question is, how do you tell the difference? You need to talk to people who have and use them. Meet them in person. Test ride one. Go to a demo. Talk to reps.

I have had my Blur LTc for a year and a half (bought May 2010). I have ridden nothing else in that time. I take it out 2-4 times a week. It has had multiple rocks kicked by the front tire to the underside. I am not talking about pebbles. I have gone Superman over the bars in an incident that bent my front wheel like a taco . I have taken it to Mammoth and did not treat it polite. It is scuffed and scratched. No more or less than any other bike I have had. There are no structural issues. I am very happy with my choice.

I also have a set of Easton low rise carbon bars. Again, no issues. Even after the above superman issue. I have a set of Easton medium rise bars on my 06 Stumpy for the last 4 years. They have endured probably more torture and I still trust them. I know of no one personal that has had a set fail catastrophically. Smashed ends from bar ends or overtightened clamp on grips but that is it.

So, like I said, you will never get a definitive answer here. Go test ride one. I worked for me.

·
GONE
27,167 Posts
Agreed!!! :lol:

I have mentioned this to him also. It seems that he gets a thrill out of getting people flustered.

And I though I was bad!

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bankerboy for the input. And Bdee what was your handle on STR? also Why would u care about me having it coming, Christ that sounds stupid, I had it coming. LOL friggin stupid.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow!! what's with all the hate with FatCat....

I'm thinking he just wants some input, this is a forum about sharing ideas and extension of resources.

" Bdee", about creating non socal related discussion what does that mean have you been to norcal thread? It's okay your an adult and can ignore any thread you want.

Sorry Fat no input from me about carbon no experience there but I have friends that have purchased used CF with zero malf. One of my buddies bought a bikesdirect GT beginning of this year and so far so good and it even has a ding on the downtube. He didn't bother complaining and it is still holding up to the abuse. One thing you can probably rely on CF technology have come a long way so the brand new ones will most likely be dependable.

Anyway what are you worried about? You spent all your money on that ugly fence of yours :D j/k

So cal riders RELAX this is just a public forum don't get ruffled up with nonsense. Sheesh we are not a bunch of grumpy old men :madman:

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DON'T MIND ME----I love throwing wrenches into forums, LOL. STR couldnt handle it, I am the Ricky Gervais of the bike sites and they are the Golden Globes...In fact a co worker just starting going off on me about something and I tapped on her shoulder and told her I like pushing buttons.

Anyways I think I will get this CF frame. Thanks for the inputs and yes dont hate on vinyl fences,
they look good, seems like reliable gates, lifetime warrantee and the neighbors told me it helps
raise the value of the 'hood :)

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
To the OP: I have an '07 CF Stumpjumper that I have beat the crap out of from the Mexican border to Mt. St. Helens. No complaints with the frame (but don't ever buy a bike with a "brain").

An aside: What I like most about MTBR is that it lacks the overzealous mods--and egos--of similar sites.

What I like least about MTBR is that it doesn't have a bailiff to whack people's pee-pee's when they lose their minds online. C'est la vie...

:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.