Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just received my new Yeti SB165 and while installing all of my preferred components, specifically my Magura brakes I noticed what appears to have been a bubble in the carbon layup in which was exposed when they cut or faced the rear brake post mounts at the factory. The hole appears to be about 2mm deep give or take.

I've included some pics. My question is, should I just fill this little hole with some proper epoxy like West System 105/207 epoxy and then potentially face the mounts again once the epoxy is cured? Is this a proper way of repairing/insuring the hole will not form into a crack or any further issues? Or should I go through the hassle of warranty for such a defect?

Thanks!

Liquid Fluid Bicycle part Water Composite material

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Liquid

Wood Fluid Bicycle part Tool Gas

Bicycle part Wood Natural material Auto part Electric blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would ask Yeti...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yeti will just tell me to go to an authorized dealer and have them submit a warranty request in which the shop will submit to yeti for approval or not. I'm familiar with the process and I have already reached out to the shop but have not heard back yet as I did so on Friday so I'm just getting some opinions in the meantime…

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd fill it and use a razor blade to level it. Then comtimue the build.
Ya I'm tempted to do that. I do have already the epoxy and a brake facing setup so I certainly could do the repair I'm just not positive if that would be the best method.

The other option would be to document it and leave it as is and if I have issues down the road submit a warranty request because it does have a lifetime warranty. But since it's a bit of a critical area I'd prefer it if I could repair it in the meantime and see if I have any issues or not as opposed to leaving it and see if I have issues. Just because I typically don't like leaving carbon exposed unless it is a clean cut/sanded down and sealed with resin/epoxy. In my experience even just sealing raw carbon prevents a lot of further degradation.

·
All fat, all the time.
11,121 Posts
If it was an old frame/used no warranty, I would add some epoxy etc and carry on.

But since it's new, I would be worried about a future issue, and have them say"well it would have been covered by warranty except you messed with it".

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
If there is poor compaction around that spot, there may be other flaws hidden in the same area. I would strongly recommend pursuing a warranty claim. That's a high-stress part of the frame, and it would suck for the caliper to pull out when you need it the most.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,329 Posts
that's a void

air doesn't have the same structural strength as carbon layup
who knows where the other voids are ?

not in a minor location either

should get warranty frame imho or yeti pay for expert ultrasound/xray at very least

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,015 Posts
My question is, should I just fill this little hole with some proper epoxy like West System 105/207 epoxy and then potentially face the mounts again once the epoxy is cured? Is this a proper way of repairing/insuring the hole will not form into a crack or any further issues?
That there is definitely a carbon void. While you could possibly fix it that way, you'd need to vacuum the resin into that void. That's the real trick. Anything less can leave parts de-bonded and allow the void to become a structural failure. If yeti says it's "ok", then maybe there's enough around it for it to be ok, but to really fix that, you'd need to somehow vacuum it.

Reactions: DeeCount

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,329 Posts
probably 99% the frames worldwide on any CF has some small void somewhere, or multiples.

no big deal in a lot of cases....

but when you actually can see one, you have a solid argument for either warranty, or paid-for expert NDT analysis

I don't trust a brake mount when I can see a void staring me in the face, after facing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.