Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum works in the 'biz' as an engineer or designer of some description. I'm wanting to learn a bit more about the extent to which certain aspects (age of bike, rider weight, location of damage, damage severity etc.) contribute to bike failure.

I have a short survey i'm hoping can be filled in if not too much trouble.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,199 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
31,441 Posts
I bet OP is a lawyer.

This smells a lot like the time I learned about when I lived in TX, where a local roadie face planted when his carbon fork imploded on the biggest road descent in the area and ended up in a coma he never recovered from. LBS told me that a lawyer showed up one day and bought up any carbon fork they had laying around (new, old, whatever) for some destructive testing, to try to figure out if the bike mfr might be liable for the rider's crash because of defects in the fork.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,199 Posts
Raoul worked for Boeing as an expert in composites... he knows his stuff literally inside and out

·
Professional Crastinator
6,120 Posts
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum works in the 'biz' as an engineer or designer of some description. I'm wanting to learn a bit more about the extent to which certain aspects (age of bike, rider weight, location of damage, damage severity etc.) contribute to bike failure.

I have a short survey i'm hoping can be filled in if not too much trouble.
I'm not a "bike engineer", but I really am a mechanical engineer. I've also broken a few bikes, and I've broken a few things at my job, both on purpose and by accident.
Everything contributes to bike failure.

Also, most failures are usually caused by very specific conditions. Those conditions are nearly infinite. It would be easier to analyze a specific failure and eliminate a lot of variables.
Current manufacturing practices are pretty reliable and consistent, depending somewhat on the source. There are shoddy outfits in every business.
But just consider how many variations there are of use/mis-use, damage, hidden damage, mfg defects, defects caused by the user or shipping company (exposure to harsh chemicals, heat, or mechanical stress), improper assembly... as well as the industry standard "we do not guarantee this product for a particular application".

-F

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,199 Posts
Who is Raoul?
ok, one freebie, just for you.

don't expect this to be a regular thing, it's one time only...

see post 2 in this thread

Reactions: phantoj

·
Registered
627 Posts
duh, thanks...

I figured it out eventually and was going to delete my embarrassing post, but now it's too late, lol.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Got my Bachelors degree in Composites Engineering. But haven’t worked in that industry for 20 years now. I remember 25 years ago Carbon bikes were still in their infancy.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,120 Posts
Got my Bachelors degree in Composites Engineering. But haven’t worked in that industry for 20 years now. I remember 25 years ago Carbon bikes were still in their infancy.
I was this >< close to a minor in composites. A LOT has changed since then.

-F

1 - 12 of 12 Posts