Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
duotone said:
I'm looking to get some relief for my wrists, elbows, etc... and I'm NOT going to get a susp fork.

What 'er your thoughts on a Carbon bar?
won't do anything for your wrists and elbows,etc, might lighten the load of that antique bike your riding. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Flex? No, not really.

Dampen? Yes a little bit.

As stated above, your joint problems wont be solved by carbon bars. Carbon bars flex a VERY small amount. Not nearly enough to act as a significant buffer between you and the trail. Now, say, if you were looking to get rid of some hand numbness after a long ride, I might suggest carbon bars. But like I said, your joint problems wont be solved by carbon.

Maybe try some fatter tires with a larger air volume to soak up the trail a tiny bit.

Or get some suspension :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Pretty much what he said. I have carbon bars on my steel FULL RIGID bike, but I put some 2.4's on there to soak up thr hits. It makes a huge difference and lets me ride it about as hard as my FS through the rough stuff. I just have to adjust the way I ride a little. (Let the ridgid bike dance under you whereas the FS you can just bulldoze through it).

·
Registered
510 Posts
I pretty much agree with what others have said...

Leaving no stone unturned:

1. Run 28psi tubeless at whatever width needed for the trails you ride
  2. Choose a tire with a non-vibrating centerline tread pattern... crossmark or michelin mountain[2]
  3. FSA K-Force carbon oversize bars.The non-uniform diameter and kevlar to damp rather than amplify vibrations.
  4. Ergon enduro grips have around section that lets you put the bike where you want it when you are in a hurry.
  5. Let your body move independantly of the bike and try to ride light at the right times so you can carry the bike over the gnarly and put it back down before you go over the bars. I find myself getting out in front of the bike and having to fling it forward to save myself more with a rigid fork.???

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Or

gearless said:
How about a suspension fork?
how about a bigger volume front tire? (since you said no suspension fork). I used to use Ti Jones bars, they flex a lot, now I am trying carbon flat bars and they seem to flex much less.

There are a lot of different brands out there, but for cush. in the front end, A big fat tire seems economical.

·
Registered
51 Posts
original

i thought cf would solve my aching hand problems, so i went with a ritchey wcs low rize bar, and found they did not flex at all. problem was only amplified. on top of that , now it's a new bend to get used to. went back to the beat up old ritchey pro aluminum rizer, and i'm gonna change the fore/aft position of my saddle. should be the answer i'm looking for. anyone interested in a carbon fiber ritchey ridden twice?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Or

gearless said:
How about a suspension fork?
how about a bigger volume front tire? (since you said no suspension fork). I used to use Ti Jones bars, they flex a lot, now I am trying carbon flat bars and they seem to flex much less.

There are a lot of different brands out there, but for cush. in the front end, A big fat tire seems economical.

·
Registered
97 Posts
OK...
I have run rigid SS for several years.
My hands STOPPED hurting after I quit using flat/riser bars and went to a Jones bar.
I also went to a Midge drop bar on my 29"er.
Same results, no pain...
Yes I tried Carbon bars, flat and riser for 2 years.
No they did not help.
Also, make sure your stem isn't too long.

Morale of the story - Get one of these and see if it don't help:

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Few things...

1. I still run my old Profile carbon flat bar. No flex, but it does do a fine job of no transmitting as much vibration.

2. Your fork choice will help some. I run a Ti rigid fork which is fairly flexy. It made a major difference.

3. Magnesium... great for killing vibration. I run an older Easton Mg stem.

4. Bar sweep... the older I get, the more sweep I like. I am gutting out running a 2deg sweep though. On my single-speed I run 9deg and my hands are much more comfy.

Yea, you could go with a suspension fork, but really it's more about the fit of your bike and hand position. The suspension will help on mid-level stuff, but on the road, not a huge amount. Go to an LBS and get fitted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.