Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there currently running or ran in the past carbon bars along with bar ends? Any problems? Any advice? I know bar ends are out of fashion, but I replaced aluminum bars with carbon and dropped the bar ends out of concern - I miss my bar ends. I know different manufacturers have recommendations, but I'm hoping to get some real-world feedback as oposed to manufacturers blah, blah, blah :)

Don't tell the fashion police, but if the bar ends go back on they're going on a riser bar. :eek:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Some are made for bar ends

Some are not. I'd look for a set with the aluminum plugs in the ends. That having been said my wife snapped the bar end insert off a profile carbon bar in a crash. Considering the part that impacted with the bar was her knee I'm sort of surprised it broke. 115lb woman's knee breaks a carbon bar? She insisted on Ti as a replacement.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Carbon Bars and Bar Ends

I've been running carbon bars with bar ends for over ten years.
1st set was some old Scott LFX carbon bars -- I finally crimped the end under the bar end in a crash. The Scotts had a stiffer than normal bar plug that helped prevent crushing. I think I got six or seven years out of them.

Now I've been running an Easton CT2 with bar ends for several seasons. I don't have any problems. I did notice that I undertightened the bar ends on the Easton bar for a while and they would move under strain. Then I tightened them up just a touch and they have been working great.

I still like the extra hand position that bar ends give me. Most of the people I ride with have long abandoned their bar ends in favor of risers. Maybe sometime I'll try them as well.

mc

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you like the extra hand positions afforded by bar ends, don't ditch em when you try a riser. The riser does not offer additional hand psoitions as a benefit. It does usually offer a more upright riding position and better leverage (as they are usually wider) but the hand positions offered are the same as a flat bar. If you use a bar end simply for leverage, you may not miss them with the riser - you will miss the hand positions. I hope to keep some small amount of self esteem as I place bar ends on a riser to get the best of both. I know the fashion police and anybody cool will surely ridicule me, but at least I won't have to give up some great benefits to get a few other benefits I want. Please don't snicker too loudly if you seem me :D

mattbikeboy said:
I've been running carbon bars with bar ends for over ten years.
1st set was some old Scott LFX carbon bars -- I finally crimped the end under the bar end in a crash. The Scotts had a stiffer than normal bar plug that helped prevent crushing. I think I got six or seven years out of them.

Now I've been running an Easton CT2 with bar ends for several seasons. I don't have any problems. I did notice that I undertightened the bar ends on the Easton bar for a while and they would move under strain. Then I tightened them up just a touch and they have been working great.

I still like the extra hand position that bar ends give me. Most of the people I ride with have long abandoned their bar ends in favor of risers. Maybe sometime I'll try them as well.

mc

·
Registered
58 Posts
Easton recommend bar ends such as Singletrack Solutions bar ends with their carbon bars. Only 63g, and I've used them for years without a problem. I like them better than the older style bar ends anyway.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
MoonriseRascal said:
Anybody out there currently running or ran in the past carbon bars along with bar ends? Any problems? Any advice? I know bar ends are out of fashion, but I replaced aluminum bars with carbon and dropped the bar ends out of concern - I miss my bar ends. I know different manufacturers have recommendations, but I'm hoping to get some real-world feedback as oposed to manufacturers blah, blah, blah :)

Don't tell the fashion police, but if the bar ends go back on they're going on a riser bar. :eek:
I am currently using RF riser carbon bar with plastic bar ends. LBS recommended that I avoid aluminum barends because it put on more stress on the carbon than plastic bar ends. Plastic bar ends works pretty well. It is light, compact, safe and look cool too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
point 1.
There is no difference between using an aluminum and plastic bar ends. Once they are clamped on, I doubt the handlebar cares much about what material they are. They recommend plastic maybe because it will break before you can tighten it enough to damage the bar.

point 2.
Bar ends like SingleTracks are recommended because they do not twist the handlebar. With traditional bar ends they act as levers. Cane Creek or aluminum Serfas are much better products and follow the design principals carbon handlebars need.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picard,

Do you run the BERPs (Bar End Reinforcement Plugs) in the bars that RF mentions in their paperwork and website? RF approves and warranties the bars for bar end use only with the plugs. Actually RF includes them only with the flat carbon bar but apparently (according to RF warranty guy) makes different BERPs for the riser as its inner diameter is different than the flat bar. I have been jumping through many a hoop to try and get these from RF and have them on order through LBS, but almost think they don't really exist.

Picard said:
I am currently using RF riser carbon bar with plastic bar ends. LBS recommended that I avoid aluminum barends because it put on more stress on the carbon than plastic bar ends. Plastic bar ends works pretty well. It is light, compact, safe and look cool too.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
MoonriseRascal said:
Picard,

Do you run the BERPs (Bar End Reinforcement Plugs) in the bars that RF mentions in their paperwork and website? RF approves and warranties the bars for bar end use only with the plugs. Actually RF includes them only with the flat carbon bar but apparently (according to RF warranty guy) makes different BERPs for the riser as its inner diameter is different than the flat bar. I have been jumping through many a hoop to try and get these from RF and have them on order through LBS, but almost think they don't really exist.
I used the plug from serfas as well as the barends from serfa too. There is no plug especially for RF plug. There are few barends suitable for carbon bar. I have riser bar. I don't know about RF flat carbon bar. Everything works well. check if serfa include plugs with it.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
LFX bars mentioned before are good. I have one on my fsr. The plugs are huge and I am sure they could handle bar ends. Also look for a bar with integrated ends. There was an lfx model like that. Or look for a klein stratum 185. I got mine new in box for $35. Lately they have been selling for more, but if you keep an eye out you can always find a deal. I got a stratum 90 for $10! This signature actually gets responses. Cant have enough of these can I? Eh, you should be able to use bar ends with new carbon bars too. Just see what the manufacturers say. There are, or were brands that made bar ends that insert into the bar, rather than around it. One of those might suit you better. I cant pick a specific company, but for some reason tioga and answer come to mind. More likely Answer. Good luck.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
You have to look at them!

MoonriseRascal said:
I put some singletrack solutions bar ends on my carbon riser bars, they were the only ones endorsed by some of the carbon bars makers. I also did not care what the fashion police thought. After a couple months I decided they did not help much and that they did look dumb.......so I sold them on ebay.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Karkus said:
Easton recommend bar ends such as Singletrack Solutions bar ends with their carbon bars. Only 63g, and I've used them for years without a problem. I like them better than the older style bar ends anyway.
I tried the Single Track Solutions for a while. I never got used to the shape of them. I always had the feeling my hand was going to slip off. Finally my daughter knocked my bike over and they cracked. Oh well, now I run carbon titecs.

mc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.