Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first off,.. just noticed after all these yrs there's no "cockpit" area in these forums... huh.. handlebars? stems? seats? seat posts... ? hmmmm LOL

anyway, to the point.

LOVE my carbon easton monkey lite bars.. banged them up pretty good over the years.. even went down a 15-20 foot rock cliff pretty much on the end cap of one carrying my whole weight. never had an issue... till yesterday. :(

took a direct hit on a rock.. wasn't all that fast or hard but I did and endo.

took off to inspect..
Cracked-bars.jpg

after a sanding to see how deep...? the marks are still there, but when you change the light the one at the clamp doesn't look like it's an actual crack but just a dent..

sanded-bar.jpg

hmmm thinking it's time for new bars.. ? :skep:

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
Agreed! New bars in in order.

The scuff on the bend of the bar is cosmetic but the crack/dent appears to extend past the superficial layer and into the actual structure. While it may hold now,....

I love my monkey lites too. I have beat the crap out of them. I have been fortunate not to take such a beating.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
I don't like those vertical lines/cracks(?) either. What kind of stem do you have? I'm getting some carbon bars soon and was curious about which stems might be the most carbon friendly.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like those vertical lines/cracks(?) either. What kind of stem do you have? I'm getting some carbon bars soon and was curious about which stems might be the most carbon friendly.
got the easton EA70 stem.. it what was recommended by Easton when I got the bars..

the bars are actually 2008's I got in 2010 for like 40 bucks.. been really happy with them. the basic replacement for them is on sale right now at Pricepoint for 60 bucks... hmmm still pricy.. but man I love these things.. was TOTALLY scared of CF till I used them for a yr... now I'll never go back to Alum bars.. just SO much nicer feeling... they really do absorb the smaller, continues vibrations that drove me nuts with alum bars.

seeing all these online from Ali Express too.. 25 bucks with free shipping.. "supposedly" richey bars... :skep:

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,216 Posts
Love my Easton Monkey Lites as well. 14 years of hard abuse with a 210 LB rider I think I got my money's worth. Although they haven't gave up yet. I bought a new set 5 years ago just because they were on sale. They've been collecting dust in the garage waiting for my originals to give up. As for yours OP I think it is time to replace them and just for grins how long have you been riding them and what do you weigh? BTW I have rode very technical rocky terrain from the get go with many a rocky crash.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
They say that it's the slow crashes with the weight still on the bike that seems to break carbon - looks like a good example.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They say that it's the slow crashes with the weight still on the bike that seems to break carbon - looks like a good example.
ya,.. but my weight was WAY off by the time it hit.. I was doing an super man impression (well, one of him still learning to fly, when he fumbled a few time ;) ) long before impact...

what makes it worse is went to order from Pricepoint an new one... well.. take a look...
freeShipping-.jpg

I guess free shipping costs $9.99 these days? :incazzato:

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
The last order I made with PP I had the same problem. I later found out
that some of what I ordered wasn't covered on the free shipping, as in any
thing made by Fox. Check the small print, some items don't count.

·
Colorado
410 Posts
Love my Easton Monkey Lites as well. 14 years of hard abuse with a 210 LB rider I think I got my money's worth. Although they haven't gave up yet. I bought a new set 5 years ago just because they were on sale. They've been collecting dust in the garage waiting for my originals to give up. As for yours OP I think it is time to replace them and just for grins how long have you been riding them and what do you weigh? BTW I have rode very technical rocky terrain from the get go with many a rocky crash.
Just curious as to what will be the first indication that they've given up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts