Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Easton DH

dan0 said:
does anyone have experience using a carbon handlebar for all mtn. type riding, (someone over 200lbs.)
I've used an Easton, but their DH version of the MonkeyLite and I weigh 220lbs. It was plenty stiff and durable, but when I went to 31.8 stems, I switched to a EA70 because they don't make the MonkeyLite DH in a 31.8 (yet). I probably wouln't go with their MonkeyLite MX at my weight for AM...though I'd be ok with it for XC riding.

:thumbsup:

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what Im wondering about
Ive got an enduro, no real jumping but lots of hardcore singletrack and rough downhills
wouldnt want to have a failure on my way down a hill, but what does the dh weigh? if tis close to metal why not just use metal?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Close but still lighter

Yes the Monkeylite DH is something like 220 grams while the EA70 is 265 grams in the 31.8 size. I will say however that there is a difference in FEEL. My hands do get a bit more fatigued with the aluminum bars than with the carbon bars. I do miss the vibration dampening that carbon offers...might get some when its time to replace the EA70's. I just noticed the Monkeylite DH IS AVAILABLE in 31.8 for the '07 models, but since I don't get a discount anymore (I'm a former shop rat)...I'll probably hold off for a while and see if they go on sale next winter.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, that carbon vibration isolation deal is hard to believe until you try one. We have a lot of rocks in our area, and the carbon bar made a noticeable improvement. Enough so that I had to get two more for the other bikes. I figured the only benefit I'd get was the weight reduction.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
enough people have done so such that i am sure it is fine....but i still ask "why". unless a weight weenie build, why save a few relatively negligible grams on a bike not intended to be a XC machine with the risk, theoretical or otherwise, of increasing the risk of hurting yourself. plus, carbon is ghey

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Fo, you're not reading the posts. They even make carbon DH bars now...and for some time. The only benefit is not weight...but as crisillo indicated, you have to actually ride a bike with one on it realize the vibration isolation benefit.:D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
TNC said:
Fo, you're not reading the posts. They even make carbon DH bars now...and for some time. The only benefit is not weight...but as crisillo indicated, you have to actually ride a bike with one on it realize the vibration isolation benefit.:D
no, they make carbon bars that they "market" as DH bars. A stamp of DH does not erase the fact that they are carbon.

as for the vibration stuff....are you kidding me? (not trying to be a jerk....just cant help it :) ). The ONLY place i will ever put a carbon bar is on a fully rigid single speed where even there I dont buy the hype. A change of 1 psi in the tires will far outweigh any supposed benefit from carbon IMHO.

and dont say such hurtful things about me not riding....it is bad enough Aqua is out there riding one-legged and rubbing it in while all I can do is work as of late (whiny I know....)

cheers

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
crisillo said:
But it looks cool, Fo! and we know that is the most important... don't tell me you intend to actually ride the bike! :eek:

:lol:
looks cool on a weight weenie project.....looks lame on anything else ;)

but i guess it goes well with lycra bibs not that you mention it....hey, maybe I will stamp a lycra bib with the letters "DH" and then all of a sudden DH racers will feel comfortable using it!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
FoShizzle said:
looks cool on a weight weenie project.....looks lame on anything else ;)

but i guess it goes well with lycra bibs not that you mention it....hey, maybe I will stamp a lycra bib with the letters "DH" and then all of a sudden DH racers will feel comfortable using it!
That sounds like a plan.... need help selling the "Super DH lycra bibs"?? :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi I run the FSA Carbon K-force downhill bars on my Moment. I bought the DH version for all mtn riding as I was alittle wary.. oh and they were going cheap:D .

Yes they do save a little weight but as said the damping effect is rather nice too. I was getting fatigued with my ally bars on long or rocky rides. I haven't looked back since buying these, very comfy and bob on in the width depaertment too!. Plus they do look a bit bling:thumbsup:

Surely in this day n age manufacturers can't badge DH stuff that they aren't at least willing to stand behind!!!:rolleyes: I help build aircraft outta carbon n no complaints as yet, plus most of you don't mind flying around on civil aircraft featuring large amounts of the stuff too!. (settin meself up for a fall ere aren't I:rolleyes: )

Anyway I've riden all sorts on me bars in the last year including French Alps and a DH course there... with 40ft hucks.... oh ok then in my dreams:p .. more like 4ft then!. Really happy with em so far and no morehand fatigue!.
Just be careful installing em, i.e de-burr and radius your clamp edges.

Ride n believe.

PS I hope mine don't break now :eekster:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Instead of Aquaman...

FoShizzle said:
no, they make carbon bars that they "market" as DH bars. A stamp of DH does not erase the fact that they are carbon.

as for the vibration stuff....are you kidding me? (not trying to be a jerk....just cant help it :) ). The ONLY place i will ever put a carbon bar is on a fully rigid single speed where even there I dont buy the hype. A change of 1 psi in the tires will far outweigh any supposed benefit from carbon IMHO.

and dont say such hurtful things about me not riding....it is bad enough Aqua is out there riding one-legged and rubbing it in while all I can do is work as of late (whiny I know....)

cheers
It should be Superman. I saw that fool out there with his cast and going one-legged on his bike. Geez...I'm glad I don't live close to him. He can't come kick my a$$ for talking smack about him...cast or no cast.:D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
just for clarification.....are people really saying that with probably an average of 140mm travel that they believe a carbon bar helps....and that they can actually tell? I am sorry but that is completely ridiculous IMHO...gee, let me put on carbon bars so the damping will be better with my 180mm fork that does not do enough for me

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's all those teeny micro-vibrations (sounds like a cosmetic treatment :D ) that seem to get damped out. I am sure most decent forks do a sterling job on the big and small stuff in most cases. I am consider myself quite a logical and scientific person and was sceptical at first!.

It's the millions of tiny vibrations a ride that seem to do the damage over time. With ally bars I found it manifested itself as more of a wrist stiffness than say forearm pump/ache if that makes any sense.

I have broken my wrist once and then both my wrist and opposite arm at the same time in another crash so perhaps I am just more senstitive to it (gettin Arthur-itus in me old age:D ).

All I know is that I didn't even remember this problem til I read this thread (plus I am doing much greater distances these days).:p

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, Fo, it's an odd high frequency type vibration thing that's getting damped...has nothing to do with travel. It kind of pissed me off, because going back to my aluminum barred bikes, I could feel it as an annoying feedback longer into a ride that I never noticed before. My advice...don't get a carbon bar...LOL! This type of feedback is a dramatic issue on a carbon vs. aluminum roadbike comparison.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Same deal here, after going from Maxms to 31.8 mm alloy bars for 'safety purposes' on my six inch travel bike, I can feel a difference. The Maxms kept the stutter down better. I am a lighter rider and might spend the extra $ in the future to go back to some carbons.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.