Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone worried about the bar snapping whilst hacking down a hill?

Anyone have experience of a Race Face Next or other carbon bar braking?

Never happened to me but it´s often in my thoughts.

·
MC Hammer
247 Posts
Carbon is lot more resilient that folks give it credit for, hell if I worried about it breaking on a downhill I would never ride my bike since my frame itself is Carbon. Other than during a nasty crash I've never heard of/seen a carbon bar breaking

·
Registered
312 Posts
XK - I've ridden them on my ID for several years now...they are really nice & even dampen out some of the smaller vibration whilst hammering DH.

Like XCDawg said...only thing about them that makes me nervous is after a crash. I do a lot of jumping and freeride type stuff, and well, things just go wrong sometimes while doing such things ya' know? Anyway.....If I was just XCing and riding DH with em, I wouldn't worry a bit, even after a crash, but getting airborne on equipment just doesn't work for me if I don't have 100% confidence in it....I had to replace them after every spill. That is the ONLY reason I went back to AL bars - it got to be too expensive. :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
if you are not comfortable with the bar, get rid of it. i think no matter how many other people report otherwise, you will still have doubts, which is fine i feel the same way about carbon. the amount that it causes you to alter your riding style because of the anxiety, greatly outweighs any weight savings. there is no substitute for peace of mind and being as confident as possible in your setup!

·
Registered
751 Posts
i was just going to post pretty much the same thing as salimoneus. if you're having anxiety over the potential failure of a bike part, then maybe that bike part is not for you...

i run a race face next sl carbon riser and it is one of my best biking purchases ever. beautiful, incredibly strong and incredibly light. and reinforced with titanium mesh at the typical crush zone for added piece of mind...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Monkey Snap

i had a monkey lite snap on me last summer dropping off a 2 footer, no warning. one side snapped right at the brake clamp. i went down fast and hard and was pretty bloodied-up. fortunately it was arms and legs and not face, but i've been done with carbon since then, back to aluminum for me.

there are great benefits with carbon but for me the risk outweighs them all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I work with carbon structures and I ride with aluminium bars! I'd be happy to use a good quality carbon bar for light XC, but not for gunning it down rough hills.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Clamping issue.

Eggman said:
i had a monkey lite snap on me last summer dropping off a 2 footer, no warning. one side snapped right at the brake clamp. i went down fast and hard and was pretty bloodied-up. fortunately it was arms and legs and not face, but i've been done with carbon since then, back to aluminum for me.

there are great benefits with carbon but for me the risk outweighs them all.
That break there looks like a bad clamping issue...overtightening or such.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have a lot of dings on my Azonic AF-1 Carbon but nothing ever snapped. I do worry a little only because there is no warning. I examine the bar for 'green' stress areas which is an indication of weakness.

I had my grip on left side slide off in the rain. That was interesting.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
considering how brittle carbon is, and the fact that it just breaks instead of bends beyond maximum stress, why would you pick a component like a handlebar that at times can take a tremendous amound of perpendicular forces, the worst kind of force that can be applied to a hollow tube?

don't get me wrong i like carbon, but i just don't think it's the right tool for the job in this particular case. even if you think you never overtorqued your levers, do you really know for 100% certainty, and why use something that fragile to begin with?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.