Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess I am old-school, but overall prefer aluminum bikes/handlebars/... because "carbon will just give in unexpectedly". Especially since I ride in rocky terrain. and sometimes aggressively. and crash from time to time, finding small dents. You know - AM...

But carbon am bikes have been there for some time now - Blur LT, Yeti 575, Mojo - and now going into 6" bikes like the Mojo HD. So there should be real data out there on how such bikes are holding up. And maybe its time for a re-think...

So here's a question to those really riding such Carbon AM bikes for a while - on rocky terrain - doing drops, technical singletack, etc - AND crashing ,AND getting rocks spit at them from below - what do you think? what's your experience? glad you went carbon over aluminum? still trust your frame after it gets some dent from rocks somewhere? how have the companies treated you if/when a problem did occur?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I fear that this thread is going to rapidly dissolve into the usual pro v. anti carbon arguments, but here is my experience with carbon outdoor equipment.

I ride a Mojo. I love it and I have no fears about the durability of the carbon. I weigh 200+ and, although I do not huck the bike like you see in the movies, I am not delicate with my equipment and I probably never will be. The bike has performed great and taken some pretty nasty falls in rocks, trees, etc and has come out fine. It's not the bike for everyone (my wife much prefers her Rocky Mountain), but the carbon shouldn't be the issue.

I have not owned any other carbon mountain bikes, but I will say that these same fears (and much worse) were actively voiced in the climbing community when Black Diamond introduced carbon fiber ice tools in the mid 1990's. They have never had any breakage issues.

If you fear carbon; fine, don't buy a carbon bike.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thorkild thanks. The Mojo HD is making me rethink where I stand. Looks like one sweet and seriously thought out bike... even if it is carbon ;)

·
Registered
678 Posts
CF bikes and parts have come long ways since they started, i think it fair to says that they are now very reliable, probably as good as aluminum.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lets put it this way, if you crash hard enough to put a big dent in an alum frame you should get rid of it, same with carbon. However I have seen guys riding Old carbon trek hartails with holes right through the carbon and they never give. I have a carbon Orbea Occam and have zero worries about it being hit by rocks or anything. Same with the carbon bars. There is a video by Niner which shows them hitting a carbon fork with a ball peen hammer and then hitting a cromoly fork of theirs with the same hammer and the carbon suffers way less. Not a scientific test but gives you an idea.

I do all of the things you say on my Orbea (4 foot drops max or so) and it is a marathon race bike so the more heavy duty carbons like the LTC, Mojo HD ect will take a ton of abuse.

A carbon race bike will not take the the abuse you are talking about however neither would a scandium race bike or a light Alum.

I don't think any bike company would put out carbon bikes if they were worried about them being weak. Not to mention some are putting life time warranties on them most have the same warranty time as their alum frames.

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
There is only one big problem with carbon imo.. its only used for 'lightish' stuff. I wanna see some hardcore carbon FR frames that are 'heavyish', it could be interesting (yes, i realize the whole point is to keep weight down). Maybe its already out there but i don't know about it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had a pair of Carbon Azonic CF-1 handlebars since summer 2004 that I can still put all of my weight on (185 lbs). They flex a bit but they've always done that. I wouldn't say that I crash a lot, but when I do crash, it's normally pretty hard. I've also hooked a lot of trees in tight singletrack hard enough to be launched several feet (I'm pretty good at clipping out of my pedals).

This year, I replaced those bars with the FSA Gravity DH carbon bar. Not because the CF-1 was worn out, but because I wanted to try a wider bar. The CF-1 is now on my commuter SS.

From what I've read and seen, you can't go wrong with carbon frames from companies like SC, Ibis and Yeti...

·
Registered
385 Posts
PsyCro said:
There is only one big problem with carbon imo.. its only used for 'lightish' stuff. I wanna see some hardcore carbon FR frames that are 'heavyish', it could be interesting (yes, i realize the whole point is to keep weight down). Maybe its already out there but i don't know about it?
The Mojo HD looks kind of like that, maybe not hardcore FR though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.