Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone out there running a shorter fork on the carbon 456 ? I ran mine with a 140 mm fork but I have dropped it down to 120 and have yet to try it out . I am just asking if anyone has run a 120mm fork at all times and how did it feel ?
thanks Allan

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Is anyone out there running a shorter fork on the carbon 456 ? I ran mine with a 140 mm fork but I have dropped it down to 120 and have yet to try it out . I am just asking if anyone has run a 120mm fork at all times and how did it feel ?
thanks Allan
There is a 95-140 U-Turn fork on the Carbon 456 I ride. Unless the terrain is VERY rough, I prefer it aT 110-120mm.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fork

Shiggy ,
Thanks for the reply , I think for where I use this bike the 120 will be better all around much better HA . I am pretty sure it will climb much better and descend just as well .
thanks again Allan

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
I have a newer 456 Ti, which I think is the same geometry. (Right Shiggy?) My fork has travel adjust and is either 160mm or 120mm. I usually run it at 160mm, and it feels a bit floppy on the climbs but nice downhill. If I run it at 120mm it feels pretty good too but I like the higher handlebar height at 160mm, because the head tube is so short on the 456.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Presslab,
You hit the nail on the head with the handlebar height . That is my only concern with the fork lowered to 120mm , I am taking it out tomorrow morning and I will give an update after the ride . IMHO , the fork travel is not as important on a HT so the HA at 67.5 and I will run the air a little higher with less sag than 25% to hopefully keep it a little closer to 68 degree it will rip on the smooth trails with occasional root and rock sections .

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Presslab,
You hit the nail on the head with the handlebar height . That is my only concern with the fork lowered to 120mm , I am taking it out tomorrow morning and I will give an update after the ride . IMHO , the fork travel is not as important on a HT so the HA at 67.5 and I will run the air a little higher with less sag than 25% to hopefully keep it a little closer to 68 degree it will rip on the smooth trails with occasional root and rock sections .
Do not get too hung up on the HTA. How the bike actually rides on the trail is more important.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ride report with 120mm fork :

This made the bike climb much better and much quicker everywhere else , I hit a couple of rocky DH trails in Oaktown and it still felt really good . I personally think this is the absolute sweet spot for this bike !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts