Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All, I'm new to the On One/Planet X/Titus family and also to Carbon. Just wanted to share some pics and ride experiences of my new 456c that I built up last week.

First off many thanks to Michael Golinski and Don "Shiggy" Person for showing me around the new digs in Portland, OR. They were super friendly, very helpful and as you might expect very excited to chat about bikes and riding in Oregon :thumbsup:

After getting the new 456c built up I had a few test rides to get er settled in and work out any bugs that always seem to crop up during the build process. I am happy to report the first ride was flawless and quiet! So we decided to head out for a longer ride this past weekend. The trail: McKenzie River Trail, Oregon. If you have never heard of this trail I highly suggest you look into it! One of my all time favorites and try to hit it at least once per year.

This time we had a coupon for a shuttle to the top of the approximately 28-35 mile ride. So we loaded up and headed out. Here is a pic of us about 30 minutes in at the head waters of the McKenzie River, Clear Lake:

Beautiful surroundings and crystal clear water. The leaves were starting to change as well so it made for some great photo ops. (All pics taken with Motorola droid phone).

The first section on the western side of the lake is pretty smooth rolling single track and makes for a great warm up. The 456c performed flawlessly and I was quite surprised how fast it was. The frame is soooo stiff it made standing and hammering feel like I was back on a road bike compared to full suspension. It was actually so stiff it jarred me pretty hard a few times when I was not expecting it. This makes for a rear end that is instantly where it should be, which is not quite what I am used to :eek:

Moving down the trail is where things start to get pretty interesting. Meaning this is where the men and the boys get separated! The upper section of the MRT is loaded with tons of lava rock, which if you are not familiar with, is VERY sharp and completely unforgiving on any frame material or flesh. Am happy to report that nobody lost any flesh from our bodies nor our frames. Here is a section of trail that is pretty nice and made for a good rest stop

Even at this early point in the ride, I was feeling like it was going to be a great day. I had made all of the difficult climbs up until this point and absolutely railed the rough DH tech sections. I felt so comfortable on the 456c already. Very pleased On One ;)

We made our way down to the first picturesque point on the trail, the upper falls. Here is a shot of the river just before it goes over the cliff

And here is the upper falls- yes I did stand WAY to close to the edge to get this shot. I wont be doing that again! :nono:

Lower falls

We eventually made our way down to Blue Pool which makes for a great spot to pitch a hammock and relax for lunch time. As you can see Blue pool is living up to it's name

After a good long lunch and a substantial food bolus we headed into the most difficult section of the MRT (IMO). Unfortunately I don't have pictures of these sections. It's loaded with lava rocks the size of small basketballs that you need to slowly work your way through. A very good test for the stiffness of a frame and the rigidity of a setup. Not only did the 456c execute all difficult sections with easy it actually seemed to take a large portion of the edge off the harshness of this terrain. I was surprisingly less tired by this point that I normally am.

After about 4.5 hours we made our way to the end of the trail. By this point I was pretty tired but very stoked on my first big ride on the 456c. I really went out on a limb with this carbon hardtail as I have been riding full suspension rigs for a long time. I couldn't be happier with my move and am very much looking forward to more rides on the baby!

Cheers,

Boone

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great pics! I've had the opportunity to ride the McKenzie River Trail twice, and enjoyed it thoroughly! Usually after riding Bend so the rain forest feel is alway a nice way to add some variety to the trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interested to hear what you think of the C456 compared to riding FS for sometime?

I have never had the chance to ride anymore than a few hours with mine so far, but the only part that i miss having FS is when climbing on uneven ground with lots of ruts. You have to ride it out rather than soak it up. Not saying it`s bad. I must have been lazy before :)

Other than that , i don`t miss FS one bit.

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kfother, I will keep that in mind over the next couple of months and post up after I have put some time in. I think the short answer though is, on rocks a little body position adjust is all that is needed. When it comes to slippery wet PNW roots though...that might be a different story :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts