Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to put my existing Shimano brakes on my Carbine 275 (to replace the stock Avids) and I realized that the brake line for the Shimano is a touch too short. If I route the brake cable along the top tube (rather than the downtube) it reaches perfectly. My only concern is that I have to thread the brake line through the upper rocker link (just like the line for the rear derailleur on the other side...).

Is this a concern with the larger diameter of the brake hose vs. the shift housing? I worry about it being pinched as the suspension cycles. Or maybe I should just suck it up and buy a longer brake hose and route it as intended.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I went to put my existing Shimano brakes on my Carbine 275 (to replace the stock Avids) and I realized that the brake line for the Shimano is a touch too short. If I route the brake cable along the top tube (rather than the downtube) it reaches perfectly. My only concern is that I have to thread the brake line through the upper rocker link (just like the line for the rear derailleur on the other side...).

Is this a concern with the larger diameter of the brake hose vs. the shift housing? I worry about it being pinched as the suspension cycles. Or maybe I should just suck it up and buy a longer brake hose and route it as intended.

Thoughts?
I believe you answered your question.... better to buck up and replace the hose.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you answered your question.... better to buck up and replace the hose.
That was my first inclination, but I was hoping somebody out there had routed the cable this way and could give their experience. I was hoping that since they purposely route the derailleur cable thru the other side, I could get away with it for the brake line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts