Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter had her 4K miles, 2021 HRV stolen just recently from her condo.
This was discovered the morning of Pedal Prix, a day when the Grand Prix let us ride our bikes on the course.
We of course did, and came back to the nasty surprise.
She Googled for “what to do” stuff and we did-police report, insurance report, talked to the neighbors, etc,etc.
Anyone gone through the stolen vehicle drama lately? Any sugestions? What settlement can she expect?

We are anticipating shopping/replacing that vehicle being a huge hassle.

• Angry
Reactions: bikeranzin

·
Registered
433 Posts
Make you wait the 30 day grace period which is in most auto insurance policies before you run out and purchase a new vehicle. Buddy of mine didn't wait, they found the vehicle 3 weeks later. Two car payments wasn't easy to swallow for them. Selling it with a stolen and recovery title wasn't easy either. If you have gap insurance, you should be 100% covered for the payoff.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What a terrible time for this to happen. With shortages everything is selling for at least MSRP. A lot of dealers are goosing their margins by adding options, knowing if you don't take it then someone else will. Used cars are nearly selling for new car prices. It is crazy. I would look for ways to wait for the supply issues to resolve before purchasing a new or used vehicle.

·
Registered
772 Posts
We suspect key spoof.
That sucks. If anyone else is reading this not knowing this can happen, we should all be educated on how to prevent it.

If your car isn't secure in a garage, you can turn the key off. Most keys have a simple hold the lock, press the unlock button to disable the key (do your spare also). When you need to use the key, simply press the unlock button. You can also place the key in a RFID box. That's what I do here at work.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@LVLBTY and everyone…..14 day grace period with our insurance. Credit Union was way cool, fixing it so her payment is deferred until next month. No gap insurance was needed. It was in an outside lot.
Still educating ourselves on keyless vehicle theft protections. This is new to her as her old ride was an 2007 with a key.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,408 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. That sucks. I originally bought Apple Tiles with the intent to fasten and hide them on my mtbs. I also ended up putting one in each vehicle just in case of vehicle theft.

I have not been through this but I have several friends and co-workers who have. Most who were able to recover the stolen vehicles ended up scrapping the recovered vehicle. The thieves (typically 14-17 yr olds here) usually joy ride and burn the cars when they are done. Most are never recovered.

Its crazy to believe a 2021 model year vehicle can be "hot wired".

Reactions: EKram

·
Registered
772 Posts
Its crazy to believe a 2021 model year vehicle can be "hot wired".
They aren't hot wired. They're easier to steal now that any point in history. They don't even have to break the window. The key signal is repeated with an inexpensive tool purchased online. If the key is in range and sending a signal, chances are your car is at risk.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They aren't hot wired. They're easier to steal now that any point in history. They don't even have to break the window. The key signal is repeated with an inexpensive tool purchased online. If the key is in range and sending a signal, chances are your car is at risk.
Yes. What the police office told her. Her key was on the counter, in the condo, fairly close, must have been able to get a signal from it.

Toyota Tacoma wrote about turning the key off, and an RFID box. Great ideas.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When she replaces her vehicle and gets the keyless fob:
I still have my old school steering wheel lock Gonna give that to her for longer parking;
RFID pouch for other parking scenarios and her purse+my wife's CRV
Travelon RFID Blocking Clip Stash Pouch, Gray, One Size

This video shows how it is done. I knew about "how it is done" but never I became engaged until now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.