Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
hmmmm
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neither of my cars have hitches, and roof racks seem to be pretty expensive (plus i don't feel like i will be up for lifting my bikes on top of my car after a ride every time). so in an effort to avoid shelling out bunch of cash to put on a hitch and get a rack i was looking at just getting a trunk rack (plus i can switch i between cars).

a little sketchy on how secure it will be, anyone have any recommendations which (if any) I should get. I assume its worth paying a little more and going with a Thule of Yakima over Schwinn.

Cars are 2004 PT Cruiser & 1996 Acura Integra
Bikes are Kona Stinky & Kona Fire Mountain

thanks for the imput

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
For what it's worth, you can get a hitch put on at U-Haul or some other places for less than $100, then put on a rock solid rack. You can hold down the hitch cost of you forgo the wiring harness.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,779 Posts
Trunk racks just plain dont cut it in my experience, super inconvenient for trunk access. I feel your pain on the roof rack, getting my over built ~38lb bike on top of my wagon was not the funnest thing especially after a tiring ride, but doable and very secure, especially with a cane over the tire. The racks are multi use as well. I have hitch style as well, super easy to get bike on, secure etc but cumbersome with all that hardware hanging off your car and not fun to put on/remove every time you need it.

Racks are more of the "set it and forget it" setup....HTH

Craigslist is great for racks, always seems to be some available and huge savings....they just dont have good resale..

Adrian

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the same problem and have been using this: http://www.rei.com/product/724094 Works pretty well. Very stable..Has held my friends 40lbs Stinky, my 38 lbs big hit and another 30lbs bike alright. It can get a bit tight trying to get three bikes on but it will work. Also if you have a full suspension bike you will probably have to buy an adaptor that runs from your stem to seat post (only like $20). It has three straps for top bottom and sides of your trunk and will fit everything from friends civic to my outback.
Tire Wheel Mode of transport Land vehicle Automotive tire

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
I have a hard time trusting a product that costs as much as a decent tire to carry my bike securely at 65-80mph.

Also, in the spots where the straps hook around the sheet metal, the clear coat/paint can get damaged. If you care about that kind of thing.

Sell the PT Cruiser to fund something more bike friendly. I kid..... but not really....

In all seriousness, you can get a hitch from eTrailer.com for $105. You could install it yourself and pick up a 1.25" bike carrier. Definitely the way to go! Installing the hitch is a bolt on operation. See instructions for the Draw-Tite brand hitch here. You could try to score a used Thule/Yakima hitch carrier, but if you ride a lot spending the dough on the hitch carrier is worth it.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~24589.htm?vehicleid=1996201568

·
Registered
327 Posts
in order to protect the paint ive just cut up a seatbelt pad and put it on the parts where the hooks touch the paint

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
The nice thing about a roof rack is that it comes in handy for lots of non-bike stuff too, like carrying ladders, surfboards and big sheets of plywood. You may eventually want to get one of those boxes that attach up there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used a trunk rack for a couple years, they do work well but are a real pain.

- Issues getting into Trunk
- Always a hassle getting multiple bikes onto the rack (They end up rubbing against one another during travel leading to little scratches on your bikes)
- Kinda fugly having it on your car all the time (you can take it off between rides but that is a pain)

I did get a roof rack, like $500, with everything and two trays. But it is supper easy to use, just throw you bike up there and you are good to go. It is very $$ but they last forever. And it is nice to be able to lock your bike on the roof, most roof racks come with some kind of built in locking system.

If you have the $$ I would just get the roof rack, you will be happy in the long run. But I must say the trunk rack does work well. I used the Yak "Mity Might"

Hitch racks are really nice also, I don't have one but have used them. You don't have to lift your bike onto the roof.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
DHinFool said:
And it is nice to be able to lock your bike on the roof, most roof racks come with some kind of built in locking system.
those locks are basically worthless. they are easy to pry open. there are also about a dozen or so master lock/key combos used by each major manufacturer. a thief can easily get copies of all the keys, so they don't even need to pry them open. hitch racks aren't much better. you can run a long cable lock from the frame to the hitch which will help a little. it will at least slow the thief down a bit.
to the op: trunk racks are ok. they serve their purpose, but they are a pain in the ass. there are no way to lock up the bike in any way. hitches are easy to install. all you need is a six pack, a friend, some basic tools, and about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a used trunk rack that I bought for $25 off craigslist. It's attached to a $1000 junker, and caries a $5k bike. Gotta love it.

Actually I was leary of putting the bike on there at first, and was putting the bike inside the car, and not using the rack, but got lazy about not wanting to take the wheels off, and didn't want my wheel sticking out the trunk like Dennis :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Captain_America1976 said:
those locks are basically worthless. they are easy to pry open. there are also about a dozen or so master lock/key combos used by each major manufacturer. a thief can easily get copies of all the keys, so they don't even need to pry them open.
They are a hell of a lot better than nothing...and going to slow down or deter a thief of opportunity.

I question how easy it is to get copies of all the master keys (I don't think you can just walk into your local shop and buy masker keys, I am sure one could get them but "easily"). I also question how many bike thieves are running around with pockets full of keys...

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
I agree with not trusting Thule/Yakima locks. They are good as a very basic deterrent, but not much else. A serious bike thief could probably drill it out in no time at all.

On the (very popular -- probably the most popular on this forum) Thule Sidearm... all you have to do is deflate the front tire, swing the arm around the front wheel and tada... you've got a bike.

No matter what setup you buy, definitely keep the bike in sight or locked down with an ultra duty chain and lock attached to the hitch. Standard bike lock cables can get snapped in 3 seconds.

·
Registered
146 Posts
jdubsl2 said:
A serious bike thief could probably drill it out in no time at all.

Standard bike lock cables can get snapped in 3 seconds.
Master keys, drill it out, cables snapped in 3 seconds? Dam...I am worried about the homeless guy, junky, or college kid that is trying to steal my bike for beer or weed money.

I am not going to start worrying about guys running around with Master Keys and Drills in there pockets.

I am happy with the locks on my roof rack...for what I need them for.

Where are you leaving your bike unattended that you are worried about this type of stuff?

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Actually most roof racks can just be simply pried off your roof in 10 seconds or less with a crowbar. Enterprising thieves wouldn't care if they damaged your vehicle. They can just pull up in a pickup, pry, and throw your bike + rack into the trunk and be out of there in under 60 seconds.

I mostly use the locks on my roof rack to ensure that my fork stays attached while driving. :p

I haven't gotten around to moving my ghetto Yakima bars with Thule bike carriers over to my newer car, mostly because I'm still debating if I want to put a hitch on. I kinda like leaving a roof rack on my car because.. it's rather dumb, but I think its kind of a badge for other cyclists to know you're one of them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
vaelin said:
Actually most roof racks can just be simply pried off your roof in 10 seconds or less with a crowbar. Enterprising thieves wouldn't care if they damaged your vehicle. They can just pull up in a pickup, pry, and throw your bike + rack into the trunk and be out of there in under 60 seconds.
I think you guys have watched to many movies. "10 seconds or less"..."gone in 60 seconds!! Where are you leaving your bike that you worry about stuff like that. I really don't think there are to many guys driving around in trucks with a crow bar looking for bikes to steal.

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
DHinFool said:
Master keys, drill it out, cables snapped in 3 seconds? Dam...I am worried about the homeless guy, junky, or college kid that is trying to steal my bike for beer or weed money.

I am not going to start worrying about guys running around with Master Keys and Drills in there pockets.

I am happy with the locks on my roof rack...for what I need them for.

Where are you leaving your bike unattended that you are worried about this type of stuff?
The topic of security arose during the 'what rack to buy' discussion. I'm just saying that if the bike is attached to a rack, it's not very secure. I don't have a 'master key' and seriously doubt you can order one up from Thule or Yakima -- so there probably arent a lot of other people with them either. There are several key combinations on the locks themselves. If the thief just so happened to have the key that matches the code clearly stamped on the end of the lock cylinder, he could make off with your bike. But the odds of that happening are not very good.

Me? I'm not worried about it. I don't leave my bike out of sight. I learned my lesson with that as a kid after getting a brand new Trek for my birthday. It truly was Gone In 60 Seconds after being left in the driveway to take a leak. Don't think though that there aren't a lot of people out there looking to steal your bike....

Did you see the thread where a bike thief came up to a bike locked up outside of Performance while the owner was shopping. The guy had the lock cut and was riding off before the guy (a Performance employee) who watched the whole thing could even react.

I might be a little paranoid... but I don't have another four grand laying around to replace my bike. The bottom line is no matter how you transport a bike on your vehicle, you need to make sure it's safe. And I think that starts with buying something that attached to the vehicle with bolts instead of pull straps.

·
weekend worrier
562 Posts
Dalis12 said:
Neither of my cars have hitches, and roof racks seem to be pretty expensive (plus i don't feel like i will be up for lifting my bikes on top of my car after a ride every time). so in an effort to avoid shelling out bunch of cash to put on a hitch and get a rack i was looking at just getting a trunk rack (plus i can switch i between cars).
My initial reaction was: "WTF? You are a cheap bastard and a @#$! wimp!" :p

Seriously though, life is too short for cheap bike racks. Either carry your bike inside your vehicle or pony up for some decent roof racks or a nice hitch rack. Trust me, it's worth it. In particular, you can move attachments, bars, and, in some cases, towers from car to car. Hitch mount racks are even easier to move from car to car.

I have a receiver hitch and roof racks on both of my vehicles: a 1998 Nissan Frontier and 2005 Subaru Legacy wagon. I have Yakima roof racks on both of my vehicles. The Yakima roof rack on my truck dates from 1992 and has been used on three vehicles since then (1969 Karmann-Ghia coupe, 1994 Suzuki Sidekick, 1998 Nissan Frontier w/ camper shell). My tail rack is an old-school Sportworks w/ both 2" and 1 1/4" bars so I can run it on my truck or my Subie. I will probably continue to move it from car to car until it falls apart.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,457 Posts
If you are near Passion Trail Bikes, they have both $10 off and 10% off coupons for Rack n Road (a specialty rack retailer). Just stop in and ask. Then if you do need to buy something, at least you can get a little discount.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
DHinFool said:
I think you guys have watched to many movies. "10 seconds or less"..."gone in 60 seconds!! Where are you leaving your bike that you worry about stuff like that. I really don't think there are to many guys driving around in trucks with a crow bar looking for bikes to steal.
Does security footage count? I worked at a bike shop in college; a regular customer's Volvo with a Thule roof rack and an OLCV Trek road bike locked on top. Granted this was in Fresno back in the 90s, so a pretty high crime rate (it's gotten tons better apparently since then.)

We watched the security cams after the incident took place. I distinctly remember it was under 60 seconds. Sure, bike thieves won't be driving around.. they'll be casing a typical place where they can take someone's bike. And typically it'll be an expensive bike. All they need is leverage to pry that rack off.

Anyways, the point is: don't rely on some chintzy locks on your rack. If a bike thief really wants your bike, its as good as gone unless you're there watching it 24/7. Use it as a deterrent for the casuals that may be tempted only, or use it as extra 'security' for your bike not to fall off the rack mid-drive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
vaelin said:
Does security footage count?
Security footage would be great, please post it!!! Someone, on-line, saying that "I once saw this security footage" does not count as security footage.

You are making my point for me;

vaelin said:
If a bike thief really wants your bike, its as good as gone unless you're there watching it 24/7.
If this is true why bother with some crazy aftermarket lock, because like you said above. If a thief really wants your bike, it's as good as gone…

All I am try to say is that all of these situations (thief's with master keys, drilled out locks, rack pried off roof in 60 secs) are not the norm, in fact I would call them abnormal. Some of these posts are making is sound like this is the norm. We can all come up with some outrageous situation that we have heard about, but that is not the norm. I do not expect my bike lock to hold up in these extraordinary circumstances that would not be a reasonable expectation.

When I am locking up my bike I am trying to prevent some thieve of opportunity from taking my bike. I am not worried about the master thief that is going to pull up in a truck and rip my rack and bike off and be gone in 60 seconds.

Once again, I am happy with the locks on my roof rack...for what I need them for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts