Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Paste eater
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending where you are in the country, car camping is a big part of mountain biking trips. I've done it a lot and still every so often you come across someones ingenious car camping idea/tool/technique that makes your experience just that much better.

Some of these i've picked up over the years:

-camp chairs
-solar shower
-cheap THICK foam
-exchange tiny backpacking tent for big ass wally world tent. (exchange any "backpacking" item for it's bigger brother)
-inverter
-foldable card table
-Dutch oven!
-Real blankets/pillows
-Plastic Bins for organization
-Freezing gallon Jugs
-Zip Ties

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
Getting too old for craound camping :thumbsup:
C1.jpg
C2.jpg

Reactions: longhaultrucker

·
Registered
419 Posts
Some of these i've picked up over the years:

-cheap THICK foam
-Freezing gallon Jugs
I'm going to be doing a lot of car camping this year, hoping to get some helpful info from this thread. Where can you find cheap thick foam? I've seen sheets of it in craft stores but never checked the prices, curious where would have the lowest price.
What do you use the frozen water jugs for?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hail camping gadgets and stuff that maximize fun...

Jetboil
Good beer in cans
Down booties in winter
Block ice
Headnet
Tarps for building shades/shelter
Propane space heater
Candle lanterns
Music library
Hot sauce
Down comforter and sleeping partner
Incense
Beach towels

More stuff, of course, doesn't equal more fun. But sure, some items are worth their space. You don't need a RV, trailer or sportsmobile to have a totally plush, snag-free camping experience.

Great thread idea! Cheers...

·
Magically Delicious
9,883 Posts
Hail camping gadgets and stuff that maximize fun...
Good beer in cans
Down booties in winter
Block ice
Propane space heater
Candle lanterns
Music library
Hot sauce
Down comforter and sleeping partner (this is your HEATER)
More stuff, of course, doesn't equal more fun. But sure, some items are worth their space.
There are simply things in life that can't be left out!

·
Registered
274 Posts
my must have is my eno hammock not new to most people but i just picked my first one up with my rei dividend and man i love it so far. here is another must have mounted onto my van door in the pic. and a couple of other pics of my van i sleep in on trips

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
my must have is my eno hammock not new to most people but i just picked my first one up with my rei dividend and man i love it so far. here is another must have mounted onto my van door in the pic. and a couple of other pics of my van i sleep in on trips
Sorry, but your post reminded me of this!

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Forget the foam pad & get yourself one of these
REI Camp Bed 3.5 Review - OutdoorGearLab

It's literally more comfortable then my bed

I have also found these to be extremely handy
Kimberly-Clark Rags in a Box 300-ct-75600 at The Home Depot

Also leave the jetboil in your backpack. Get one of those dual burner stoves that run on a little propane can like the campchef. Then you can use real size pots & pans & turn out good food easy. Big fan of cooking over the fire/coals so get a large fire grate
Camp Chef Lumberjack Over The Fire Grill | Backcountry.com

Also a good quality 5 day cooler makes things more pleasant. I'm a big fan of those little packable hammocks. Nothing better than plopping in the hammock with a beer in your hand, and a nice breeze after a long on the bike. ANd of coarse a headlamp

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Sven saw
5 gallon plastic water jug
camp guitar
plastic tub for food items
tent sock

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Inflatable mattresses for eighty-some bucks -- pass. Foam pads will never die and cost a fraction of that. And you don't have to treat them nicely. A1 Foam and Fabric if you're in SoCal.

Vans are subject to ridicule until the weather caves in, then everyone thinks your van is the coolest thing ever. :)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts