Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bud and I were visiting SC last weekend for Sea Otter and on Sunday, Apr 13, my car was broken into on the Empire Grade up just north of Twin Gates.
We were traveling and going to head back home after the ride so ALL our stuff was in the car (rookie move, I know).
If you happened to see anything between 3pm and 6pm that day worth mentioning let me know. My car was the white Subaru Impreza WRX wagon parked up there. There were plenty of other riders/vehicles around.

Items stolen:
NiteRider 1700 light
NiteRider 1500 light (has a faint 15 etched on battery and light to distinguish it)
NiteRider Lumina 700 light
(All 3 lights were in their zipper packs with chargers and cable extension)
Black Jansport backpack with the patch taken off
8 pairs of Exofficio boxer briefs (yes, they store my $25/pair underwear)
5in Buckinfe
3in folding black Kershaw knife (this was my 3 year anniversary gift)
Panasonic Luminix digital camera
Red 32L backpacking pack
Big black duffle bag
2 pairs of black Levis
Shirts, socks and other low cost items that add up to replace

In the end they got well over $1000 worth of stuff, probably closer to $2000.
If you happen to see any other this stuff for sale in the Bay Area let me know.

Bummer way to end a rad trip, riding those trails was amazing. We were lucky enough to run into Mando, Jim, and Lester or (Leonard something with an "L"?) who were happy to share some beers and show us around.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,825 Posts
Holy moly. I'll be on the lookout. I didn't know Empire was so sketchy. It'll prob'ly happen more these days.

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy moly. I'll be on the lookout. I didn't know Empire was so sketchy. It'll prob'ly happen more these days.
Thanks. There were so many other riders and hikers up there that day we assumed there'd be no issues.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,284 Posts
Daaaaaamn. That effing sucks man. Too bad they didn't light your car on fire and run it off a cliff too so you could have claimed the insurance. Or whatever.

I rode Saturday morning and, we stop to get food after riding. I start locking the bikes. My friend, not from here starts ridiculing me after I used the tule cables, the sks cores, then redundant cables (x2). One of my cables is gnarly 1" around. And it took a while to lock. He asks me "is all this really needed?"

"Santa Cruz... The bike theft capital of the world" is all I answered.

·
roadie
744 Posts
"Santa Cruz... The bike theft capital of the world" is all I answered.

in holland all bikes weigh 50lbs. either a 15lb bike and 35lbs of locks, or a 35lb bike and 15lbs or locks...

however, my intuition would point to China being the true capital. just based on number of bikes/people.

do you have home or renters insurance?

·
Registered
184 Posts
There has been broken glass in the dirt unfortunately for a long time up here. You just can't leave anything visible inside the car.

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have homeowners insurance as well as car insurance and have made claims to both. Still a huge loss though money wise (two deductibles plus I can't "prove" I owned a lot that was taken) and I'm mega bummed they got that Kershaw knife.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,700 Posts
I do have homeowners insurance as well as car insurance and have made claims to both. Still a huge loss though money wise (two deductibles plus I can't "prove" I owned a lot that was taken) and I'm mega bummed they got that Kershaw knife.
Even if they did cover everything $-wise, what a pita running around to replace it all.

Here's hoping whoever stole the stuff falls on that knife while it's open. Several times.

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's hoping whoever stole the stuff falls on that knife while it's open. Several times.
Almost exactly what I said when I realized they took it.
So true about how much a PITA it is too. Something as cheap as the pants I was wearing before the ride has cost me a lot of time and money to replace: pants, belt, all my keys including 3 different bike locks and house keys, a few guitar picks and the damn Kershaw all left with a 3 year old pair of cut-off Levis, hahaah.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
It just ain't Santa Cruz it's every where.
I live in a decent area of Roseville Ca. and they cut bike locks in broad day light even in front of the post office across the street from City hall and the police Dept.
Sorry to hear about your loss.

·
~~~
2,036 Posts
Sounds like you're keeping a pretty good attitude about it. Good luck recovering/replacing some of your stuff. Karma will get the scumbags, and may good fortune fall upon you sooner than later. Cheers.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Descend fresh! Friends don't let friends stink on the ride down.

I've nevered bothered with using locking gear, it is ether a joke or expensive, and still not very good at protecting your gear.

Bolt a tow pad eye to the roof with a backing plate and security bolts, drill it out to fit a kryptonite round padlock, and use a 3/4" or larger cable run through the main triangle, and a 1/2" cable through the wheels. Have yet to find any evidence of anyone trying to cut the cables or saw the locks.

Tow Pad Eye: Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Tow Pad Eye

Kryptonite Round Padlock: Kryptonite 70mm Stainless Round Padlock - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

Sorry to hear you've lost some good stuff. I don't get how people steal and are ok with it. It's not just a loss of goods as your personal space has been violated. Some of us are just plain disgusting as humans.

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you're keeping a pretty good attitude about it. Good luck recovering/replacing some of your stuff. Karma will get the scumbags, and may good fortune fall upon you sooner than later. Cheers.
In the end it's all just "stuff and money" anyways. Thanks for the good wishes.

It just ain't Santa Cruz it's every where
Totally, it happens in SD quite often, specifically at one local spot. I know better than to leave all my stuff in my car, just one of those situations though. At least I kept my wallet and phone in my camelback.

I don't understand why people park up top on Empire Grade. Climbing at the end? It's way better to descend at the end!
We had never been there, just got directions and winged it; we had no idea what to expect or where we were going. Glad we went though, some of the trails we rode were super fun; a nice change to the sand filled and tree-less riding here in SD.

·
J-Flo
1,740 Posts
Descend fresh! Friends don't let friends stink on the ride down.

I've nevered bothered with using locking gear, it is ether a joke or expensive, and still not very good at protecting your gear.

Bolt a tow pad eye to the roof with a backing plate and security bolts, drill it out to fit a kryptonite round padlock, and use a 3/4" or larger cable run through the main triangle, and a 1/2" cable through the wheels. Have yet to find any evidence of anyone trying to cut the cables or saw the locks.

Tow Pad Eye: Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Tow Pad Eye

Kryptonite Round Padlock: Kryptonite 70mm Stainless Round Padlock - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

Sorry to hear you've lost some good stuff. I don't get how people steal and are ok with it. It's not just a loss of goods as your personal space has been violated. Some of us are just plain disgusting as humans.
Maybe a dumb question, but where do you get the heavy cable? Bike shops sell only up to about 8mm thick. I would be delighted with a 25-30mm cable if I could lock it to my frame and bikes.

·
Yeti SB95c
1,374 Posts
Kryptonite showed us this $140 chain at Sea Otter:

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/ProductInformation.aspx?PNumber=999522

Thieves are desperate for drug money everywhere. Santa Cruz County has more than its share of desperadoes, especially in the mountains.

Our old Aerostar vans are still the best option for MTB travel. The bikes store inside and we chain them to the removable seat floor posts.

Kryptonite cables are easy to cut with large bolt cutters. It only takes a few seconds to steal a bike.

Locking underwear to something is more difficult.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
Kryptonite showed us this $140 chain at Sea Otter:

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/ProductInformation.aspx?PNumber=999522

Thieves are desperate for drug money everywhere. Santa Cruz County has more than its share of desperadoes, especially in the mountains.

Our old Aerostar vans are still the best option for MTB travel. The bikes store inside and we chain them to the removable seat floor posts.

Kryptonite cables are easy to cut with large bolt cutters. It only takes a few seconds to steal a bike.

Locking underwear to something is more difficult.
I would use that chain. In fact, I have the on guard beast chain and u lock.

Underwear, skid marks. Best way. Leave em stanky!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts