Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had their car broken into at the local trailheads?

My car just got broken into today at Calero Park parking lot. It is such a safe area too. Came back to my car to see this. Didn't get my bike because I was riding it, but stole a lot of stuff. Evil.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Glass

Mode of transport Vehicle door Car seat Windshield Automotive window part

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ive been broken into twice. Auburn confluence and Salmon Falls.
I’ve seen car glass several times at confluence. Sometimes even mid-day Saturday.

Now I don’t leave ANYTHING visible if I leave a car at the trailhead.
AND I have signs I put in the car windows saying “nothing of value left in this car”

No problems since then.

Also, I’ve now started seeing glass at some of the Tahoe trailheads. Sad to see it happening here too.

Bottom line. Take your wallet, keys and phone with you.
Don’t leave anything that looks interesting in your car.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,126 Posts
If possible, post time, date, exact located when it occurred.

It's happened to every trailhead around in the last 10 years so getting a sense of time will give us a better idea of the current hot spots.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Ive been broken into twice. Auburn confluence and Salmon Falls.
I've seen car glass several times at confluence. Sometimes even mid-day Saturday.

Now I don't leave ANYTHING visible if I leave a car at the trailhead.
AND I have signs I put in the car windows saying "nothing of value left in this car"

No problems since then.

Also, I've now started seeing glass at some of the Tahoe trailheads. Sad to see it happening here too.

Bottom line. Take your wallet, keys and phone with you.
Don't leave anything that looks interesting in your car.
I'll never forget the time we rode Salmon Falls, got back to the trailhead and the SUV was GONE. The driver had "hidden" the keys in the vehicle to "save weight" on the ride.

D'oh.

·
Thread Killa
359 Posts
I've been lucky but figure my time will come one of these days. When I go out with sole purpose of riding I will take my ID, 1 debit card & small amount of cash which I put in my shorts or otherwise on my person. I try to leave nothing but a change of clothes in my car. Spots like Salmon Falls I'll try to take my old beat up pickup and leave doors unlocked. Most people would open the door, take a whiff and back away... stink as a theft deterrent. The only thing I would worry about losing would be the registration.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'll never forget the time we rode Salmon Falls, got back to the trailhead and the SUV was GONE.

D'oh.
Oh man that takes the cake, that must've been a shock. I've been partially lucky, wise or not I don't lock my car, I leave nothing of value, but peeps have got in there and rustled around, took nothing (one time ate a granola bar), but the saving grace is they didn't break window for that bar. I also have always had manual cars, I swear it in itself is an anti-theft device as I believe only 9-10% cars are stick. A friend of mine had someone take a dump on his front seat, what a treat!

·
Old,slow,still havin fun.
1,093 Posts
Condolences.
You simply cannot leave anything visible in your vehicle, junkies are everywhere.
But even that does not work 100% of the time, I lost all my bike gear a few summers ago the one time I left my bag in the trunk overnight.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,929 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts

It's happened to every trailhead around in the last 10 years so getting a sense of time will give us a better idea of the current hot spots.
I've not been broken into yet but I sure have noticed more glass at trail heads. I will make notes where I see this and update this thread.

MB

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,554 Posts
It happens all the time on Channel dr. @ Annadel, too. Beware any of you coming up this way. There are better places to park.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,274 Posts
this is the main reason I park 5 or more miles away from any trailhead

and roll in (when time permits)...also the 5 mile warmup is nice to hit the trail with..

sucks on meaty tires but hey theft sucks worse

Reactions: Entrenador

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
This has been going on since the beginning of time....and things are only going to get worse in this state with the legislation that has been passed the last 2-3 years. My advice is to NEVER leave anything in plain view when possible.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Really, no trail head or parking lot is safe. These criminals hunt, use lookouts, walk by looking in windows, smash & grab. Sad state of affairs. Police can't stop 'em.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

It happened at Calero Park parking lot on McKean Rd. Tuesday around 8-8:30pm. My car was parked right in the middle of the lot. Really surprised it happened there because I grew up in that area. It is very safe with a ton of traffic on McKean Rd. I see rangers passing constantly in front of the park. Ironically, when I got back to my car a ranger was there in the parking lot.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts