Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all who know of it i'm a little confused... it seem's like theres 3 trails there on the top of high drive theres lower capt. jack and higher... (right?) or is that trail the goes up some thing diferinet? than (the shots) are they also know as long horn? or some thing laik that

any help would be great i live about 10 mins away from them so feel free to give as much detail as posibal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong folks!

From the parking lot on Goldcamp Road above Helent Hunt Falls:

Taking Goldcamp past the dirt parking lot to the first trail on the right. That first trail is Buckhorn.

About 100yds up the trail you can switchback to the right and continue up Buckhorn to where it hits Upper Captain Jacks.

If you continue kinda left/straight at the same spot you'll grunt your way up Seven Bridges.

Take Upper Captain Jacks to the right and it continues to the awesome view overlooking Cheyenne Canyon...then cuts back left and bombs down to the road (High Drive). Crossing over High Drive you pick up Lower Captain Jacks and it eventually spits you back out onto Goldcamp Road. Take it up to the right if you parked at the Helent Hunt falls lot.

Go down (or left) to fly down Gold Camp Road to the top of The Chutes. Scream down The Chutes - pissing off all the uphill riders and hikers and you're down at the parking lot (can be ridden as a loop from this lot too for something like 14 miles and 2,000ft of climbing)

Taking Upper Captain Jacks left...ugh, what a grunt up to Jones Park/Pipeline area.
 

·
SS Chimp
Joined
·
525 Posts
bikeCOLORADO said:
Take it up to the right if you parked at the Helent Hunt falls lot.
your directions are close but heading back up the Gold Camp after you exit Captain Jack will return you to the parking lot above Helen Hunt Falls at the terminus of the paved Cheyenne Canyon road.

You also got the chutes part wrong....

bikeCOLORADO said:
Scream down The Chutes - pissing off all the uphill riders and hikers...
"Scream down The Chutes...get knocked off your bike and wailed on until you learn that the Chutes can no longer accommodate high speeds with the increase in usage."

Just can't let the "pissing off all the uphill riders" go as I AM the uphill rider and I use the Chutes almost daily to access other trails. There has been an increase in the past few years, since the open space was made official, of conflict, collision and injury and with that change new habits need to be formed. Sh*t happens but your quote leads me to believe that you do not take trail conditions into account when rippin down the Chutes. Haul a** on the upper trails and don't endanger the Chutes.

Check out your dictionary under Karma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
I ride up The Chutes too.

I lug my 36lb do-it-all bike UP the Chutes, UP Goldcamp, UP Buckhorn to Jacks and then on back down The Chutes. My choice of words was meant to be more sarcastic about bombing down The Chutes then anything else. Not very well put on my part and you're dead right on about safety and protecting biker access to The Chutes.

I'd LOVE to be able to just open 'er up wide and fly down The Chutes - it's just not safe or prudent. I did hear some talk about an idea for a LEGAL trail to come down parallel to The Chutes to me downhill and biker only...that would be pretty sweet, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

* If you choose to ride or hike up The Chutes...you are taking a calculated risk (especially after about 10am on the weekends when the DH crowd starts coming down from Jones Park/Seven Bridges/Pipleline, etc.). Keep your ears open and your head up and have your catlike reflexes ready to jump off the trail to avoid a bombing DH'er. For best results (and safety)...ride UP The Chutes before 10am.

* If you choose to ride DOWN The Chutes...have fun, but keep it sane and don't go balls to the walls. There WILL be plenty uphill riders and hikers coming up that will be VERY difficult to avoid especially on blind corners.

Better?
 

·
SS Chimp
Joined
·
525 Posts
bikeCOLORADO said:
I ride up The Chutes too.

I lug my 36lb do-it-all bike UP the Chutes, UP Goldcamp, UP Buckhorn to Jacks and then on back down The Chutes. My choice of words was meant to be more sarcastic about bombing down The Chutes then anything else. Not very well put on my part and you're dead right on about safety and protecting biker access to The Chutes.

I'd LOVE to be able to just open 'er up wide and fly down The Chutes - it's just not safe or prudent. I did hear some talk about an idea for a LEGAL trail to come down parallel to The Chutes to me downhill and biker only...that would be pretty sweet, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

* If you choose to ride or hike up The Chutes...you are taking a calculated risk (especially after about 10am on the weekends when the DH crowd starts coming down from Jones Park/Seven Bridges/Pipleline, etc.). Keep your ears open and your head up and have your catlike reflexes ready to jump off the trail to avoid a bombing DH'er. For best results (and safety)...ride UP The Chutes before 10am.

* If you choose to ride DOWN The Chutes...have fun, but keep it sane and don't go balls to the walls. There WILL be plenty uphill riders and hikers coming up that will be VERY difficult to avoid especially on blind corners.

Better?
rock on...I am glad to hear that it was sarcasm. the legal trail you speak of exists already and is hiker only...it is the trail that cuts back and to the right near the top of the chutes.

in the past 18 years I have seen the chutes go from a nice, swooping single track you could rail to a wide, blown out trail with lots-o-users. too bad as it seems that a vast majority of riders can not hold a line unless it is the fall line; an indication of lacking skill, too much speed or just general jacka** riding.

by 10:AM I am generally long past the chutes but I make it a point to maintain my line and not use my "catlike reflexes" because this just enables the people bombing the chutes. I actively try and talk to riders about controlling their speed on the chutes and I encourage hikers, in appropriate circumstance, to not yield the trail to bikes since that is not the standard pattern. I am on my bike 13+ hours a week and hiking our dogs everyday and I hate to see hikers scrambling off the trail when a bike, my bike, appears. funny how militant this sounds and I am glad that confrontations are few and far between but when it is your own "backyard" things take on a different light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
and id like to add....

ATTENTION MTBR POSTERS....

the previous dialog between bikeCO and 32x18 is a prime example of how a dialog should flow on this board. i commend both for their respect, matter-of-fact points, and carefully worded swapping of replys. it was clear, concise, coherent, and correct. the issue was started, took an off the cuff sarcastic turn, was reeled back in and settled in a matter of a few polite, respectful posts. not the typical 387 usless posts with nothing but "#$%@^@%" bleeps here and there. (albeit there were a few, but used in good taste) that's great.

again, well done! we should all learn something from this

mike

ps, bikeC, good save! your Father would be proud!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Right on...whenever I come across the "scrambling hikers" - I always shout out to them "No need to scramble, YOU have the right of way." as I either slow or stop and give them their right of way.

I've had some great conversations with amazed hikers...amazed because of two things, some didn't know trail etiquette and didn't know they had the right of way - and amazed from others because they knew trail etiquette but had given up long ago because so many bikers don't heed proper trail etiquette.

It's a HUGE deal in my book...I lead a lot of group rides and I'm always harping on proper etiquette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Glad to hear similar opinions. I usually ride the loop bikeCO described starting no later than 8:30 and at least w/one other person. I agree w/you on hiker's right's on the trail. Its bad when you slow down to a walking pace, prepared to stop even and the hikers are already off trail making a 6 ft wide berth around you. I hate seeing this and tell people, you have the right of way and going off trail only makes things worse by creating informal trails, erosion, destroying vegetation, etc. I hate it even more when bikers do it, can't wait for hikers OR other bikers to pass. So I'll just cut 3 ft off the trail around you. I ride Ute Valley a lot and its getting so bad I won't be suprised if they prohibit MTBing there. Not that hikers aren't responsible, but its easier to stop us riders.

BTW, bikeCO I got the sarcasm.

Dave
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
The parking lot at the top of Gold Camp is High Drive lot, it's confusing cause you have Gold Camp rd, High Drive rd(closed in winter) and Cheyenne Mtn rd(paved) all merging right there. At the top of Buckhorn, you go right to get to the overlook and drop down the backside to High Drive & Capt Jacks, or, you can go left and continue climbing along the ridge and over to 666, this trail is a blast and drops you down on lower High Drive. Columbine is also a great trail and comes off Gold Camp between the 2 tunnels and drops you down to lower Cheyenne Mtn rd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so i'm still a little confused, help me if you can,
right beofor high drive the parking lot there whats that called?

and theres trails befor lower jacks? if you take high drive

i guess i need to go up there and check every thing out it been about a year and i just moved back here,

also dose any one know how the trails are right now? i'm to lazy to go look my self j/k
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
CerealBox135 said:
Ok so i'm still a little confused, help me if you can,
right beofor high drive the parking lot there whats that called?

and theres trails befor lower jacks? if you take high drive

i guess i need to go up there and check every thing out it been about a year and i just moved back here,

also dose any one know how the trails are right now? i'm to lazy to go look my self j/k
Trails are in great shape, you might want to buy a guide book though cause it's confusing till you ride them all. If your talking about where lower Gold Camp rd and High Drive meet then thats Section 16 lot and up High Drive rd from there is Palmer/Sec 16 loop. Gold Camp & High Dr. meet at the bottom and top, and there are trails at both junctions, and in between-confused now I bet ;)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top