Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Cape Cod for the first time and am trying to decide which bike to bring. I'm leaning toward bringing my gravel bike but wondering if I'll be able to explore some of the single track there with that bike? I have .40 knobby tires on my gravel bike. Just thinking that my full suspension mtb might be overkill for riding there. I appreciate any insight!

· Registered
48 Posts
Hi Ken-

There is more excellent mountain biking on the Cape than you might think.

The best riding areas are:
  1. Otis
  2. Trail of Tears/West Barnstable Conservation Area.
  3. Willow Street.
  4. Nickerson State Park
Otis and West Barnstable are probably the best places to explore. Otis in particular offers more technical, excellent riding on the edge of Joint Base Cape Cod.

Pine Hills is just 20 minutes off-Cape, in Plymouth, and offers very technical riding with a lot of man-made features. Well worth the trip.

If you want to bring your gravel bike, West Barnstable's double-track is a very good choice, as is Nickerson.

Both TrailForks and NEMBA's website have good descriptions of all the areas noted above.

Jeff

· Registered
256 Posts
A gravel bike with big tires would get the job done on most Cape Cod trails. Trail of Tears accessed from Crooked Cartway in Marston Mills, Old Jail trails in Hyannis. Also the trails accessed from Yarmouth Dog Park on Buck island Rd. There are a lot of thorns on the Cape, so tubeless tires work best and bring extra sealant.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A gravel bike with big tires would get the job done on most Cape Cod trails. Trail of Tears accessed from Crooked Cartway in Marston Mills, Old Jail trails in Hyannis. Also the trails accessed from Yarmouth Dog Park on Buck island Rd. There are a lot of thorns on the Cape, so tubeless tires work best and bring extra sealant.
Thanks! Good information. I assumed that the trails would mostly be doable with a gravel bike. I'm used to steep, rocky, rooty terrain up here in north, central Vermont. I'm sure there are some trails that would be fun with the full suspension bike but we're also planning on using the rail trail and the bikes for getting around in general so I was hoping the gravel bike would be a good compromise. Thanks for the heads up on the thorns. I don't have my cross bike set up tubeless so I'll try to do that before heading down.

· Registered
312 Posts
I rode Nickerson last month on my MegaTower and thought I was going to be way over biked. But given the route I chose and the speed I was able to carry, I thought it was perfect.

Yes, there were moments/sections (although not very many) a gravel bike would have been fine. But in my opinion, for the high speed descents and the jumps, a real mountain bike was way more fun. I had no idea how much of a blast Nickerson and the surrounding trails (Freemans Way) are to ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.