Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the dimensions for the vertical distance between the top of the fork crown and the top of the large adjuster stanchion cap for the following forks:

Fox TALAS RLC
Pike 454 (Air or Coil)

On smaller frames, the caps often hit the frame. I run a spacer on my head tube to correct for this but am trying to see if I can get rid of it if I switch from a TALAS to a Pike.

Thanks,

Michael

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!!

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
The pike distance is less then the talas. I had to do more filing when I went from a vanilla RLC to a Pike dual air with a 4mm ventana spacer installed. So you will not beable to get rid of the spacer but actually may need a bigger one.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
SVSocrates said:
Anyone know the dimensions for the vertical distance between the top of the fork crown and the top of the large adjuster stanchion cap for the following forks:

Fox TALAS RLC
Pike 454 (Air or Coil)

On smaller frames, the caps often hit the frame. I run a spacer on my head tube to correct for this but am trying to see if I can get rid of it if I switch from a TALAS to a Pike.

Thanks,

Michael
Alternatively, you can run a Cane Creek S3+5 headset. This is what I've had to use on a homebuilt frame when I installed a RS Revelation to clear the downtube...
http://www.canecreek.com/s3_plus_5.html

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
For others in this predicament..the Ventana race should work fairly will with standard angular contact bearing headsets like Cane creek or FSA. Both CC and FSA use a bearings (same bearing actually) with a 36* chamfer or bevel where the bearing contacts the crown race. The king one is slightly different at 45* but this should not really cause a problem. I actually ran a King stock crown race for a while on an FSA to test this out, and had no problems.

Just thought I would throw that out there for those in need of down tube clearance and might not want to repalce their entire headset..

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
davep said:
For others in this predicament..the Ventana race should work fairly will with standard angular contact bearing headsets like Cane creek or FSA. Both CC and FSA use a bearings (same bearing actually) with a 36* chamfer or bevel where the bearing contacts the crown race. The king one is slightly different at 45* but this should not really cause a problem. I actually ran a King stock crown race for a while on an FSA to test this out, and had no problems.

Just thought I would throw that out there for those in need of down tube clearance and might not want to repalce their entire headset..
Does the Ventana Plus 4 race work on any frame with 1 1/8 headtube or is Ventana headtube specific?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,802 Posts
flipnidaho said:
Does the Ventana Plus 4 race work on any frame with 1 1/8 headtube or is Ventana headtube specific?
Thanks!
Flip, the Ventana race is made for CK headsets (so they fit any 1 1/8" steerer) and as davep mentioned, it might work with other headsets with similar design bearings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts