Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Canzo

5K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  WarPigs 
#1 ·
Just came in today.

Got it together and rode it around. Feels good. Back end feels nice and tight.
Will report back once I get it dialed in and have a few rides under my belt.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Law said:
Does the lower pivot near the bb use bushings or bearings? What rear shock is that? Frame weight?
BB pivot is a bushing, as are the dropout pivots.

MC 3.3 rear shock.

Let's just say the weight is in line with the price. It isn't a boat anchor, but you'd never mistake it for light.

MC

#10 ·
Frames twice the price plus change, under a pound lighter.
At a $3000 budget, this will help build a pretty light bike!

I have a '97 Canzo ESP in the basement. Unified Rear Triangle. Kiddy wheels. makes me feel old skool. I still cannot imagine a bike faster in a straight line, asphalt or rough gravel. Pre-platform damper age though, so it would barely reach the top of any short climb.

This one looks tempting. Does it come in a 21" tall size?

#11 ·
ferday said:
....less than 6lbs frame/shock sounds pretty light to me. what are you riding that's much lighter than that at the same travel?
Perhaps we have a scale discrepancy here. My 18" Canzo demo frame weighed 7+ (7.2, I *think*) with rear shock and seat collar. My 18" Leviathan frame (also with shock and seat collar) weighs 5.3 on that same scale.

MC

#12 ·
Suspension redesign?

That looks like a very nice frame (and for ~$1K, competively priced too!). But, what happened to the short swing links at the BB? I thought this was supposed to be a "floating pivot" type design per the pic below:

#14 ·
Faux bar suspension, rockshox 3.3. didn't inspect the bearings close enough but I guess they are what they are.

I really doubt my UPS scale is 1.3 pounds off!

Build up pic enclosed. I won't list the component build cause it ain't nothing special.

The rear end feels real solid when I am out of the saddle climbing. I lock the front fork out though to minimize bob. No need to lock the rear end out.

I think I should have a lot of fun with it even though it is not a Lev!

It was in the 4th of July Parade today for our local park volunteer unit.

Attachments

#16 ·
Went riding at BLT tonight (san diego county mountains).

Loved the ride and handling. It is the same exact build as my Dambala so it is a fair comparison between the two.
It sits up higher due to having suspension but it still felt very good under me. No rear end side to side squirm. My last dually was a Giant VT1 and it had a lot of side to side flex and bobbed a lot when standing.

The the rear shock feels nice. I just hope it holds up. Any tuning tips on the Rockshox MC 3.3? I am around 140 pounds.

I ordered the 18 inch frame which should be too big for me since I am around 5'6". I am glad I did not order the 16. This gives me a little longer top tube and a longer wheel base for stability. I have my seat back almost all the way and decent length stem. Voodoo seems to like short top tubes. I think someone 5'9 or shorter would fit on the 18 OK. If you are real tall or like long top tubes this may not be the ride for you even in large.

Of course my big concern with rear suspension is the pivots and rear shock. Only time will tell if it holds up or not.

#18 ·
yagimax said:
Thanks for the ride report and pictures.
What is the ETT of the frame? I guess measured centre of headset to ctr of seatpost.
Is the frame the same steel tubing as the Dambala?

Now with two conflicting weights I'm really curious!
ETT 23.2 inches

From BTI web site:
http://www.bti-usa.com/list.asp?cat...Sec=0&filter=&searchtype=&showGrp=VD1276#open

They claim 5.9 pounds and that is about what I measured with my UPS scale. I could be wrong so perhaps we should wait for some other owners to weigh in (so to speak!)

Frame is supposedly 7005 aluminum, not steel.

#21 ·
Small and Medium similiar?

I believe the effective fit of these 2 frames in small and medium will actually be quite close. The small has a 22.6 TT but also has 74.5 seat tube angle. The medium has a 23.2 TT but with a 73.5 seat tube angle. This change is good for about a cm which pretty much accounts for the .6 in difference. This should actually put you in pretty much the same effective riding position.
I have a Niner hardtail in small and notice basically the same thing going from their small to medium frames. So Cloxxi is correct -if you want a faster handling frame, go medium. If you want things more stable, go small. I know someone else on this forum who is my same height, yet rides a medium niner since it speeds up the front end without any real change in handling (standover changes, but that's mostly it).

#22 ·
wedge said:
Why the rear-view mirror?

Is that a "French Army Special Build" ?
Rear view mirror? Cause I often ride my bike on the road to commute into town. I only use one main bike. I want to know who is coming up from behind. Also out on the trail you can monitor who is behind you and if they are gaining or falling back.

#23 ·
jayoutside said:
I believe the effective fit of these 2 frames in small and medium will actually be quite close. The small has a 22.6 TT but also has 74.5 seat tube angle. The medium has a 23.2 TT but with a 73.5 seat tube angle. This change is good for about a cm which pretty much accounts for the .6 in difference. This should actually put you in pretty much the same effective riding position.
I have a Niner hardtail in small and notice basically the same thing going from their small to medium frames. So Cloxxi is correct -if you want a faster handling frame, go medium. If you want things more stable, go small. I know someone else on this forum who is my same height, yet rides a medium niner since it speeds up the front end without any real change in handling (standover changes, but that's mostly it).
It's a little early in the morning for all these numbers but wouldn't a steeper seat angle actually make for a shorter top tube? Also don't you have to take into account the steeper head tube angle when you move up into size as well?

I don't think I want a steeper seat tube because I already have my seat slid back most of the way. I think I would sit too far forward on a small with respect to the pedals.

#24 ·
wouldn't a steeper seat angle actually make for a shorter top tube? Also don't you have to take into account the steeper head tube angle when you move up into size as well? a steeper seat tube angle moves the seat further forward in relation to the BB. So the top tube origin is further towards the front of the bike. So lets put it this way - a steep STA tends to lengthen the reach to the bars compared to a shallow STA if the seat remains in the same spot over the BB. I don't think I want a steeper seat tube because I already have my seat slid back most of the way. I think I would sit too far forward on a small with respect to the pedals.[/QUOTE said:
This might very well be the case if you went to a small - one option would be a laid back post though. Not mocking your fit or frame choice at all, just my opinion that both frames could probalb y fit a person of your (and my) size equally. Since I like slack bikes, I may have gone small.

Glad you like yours and would love more input on ride tests as you log more miles!

#26 ·
WarPigs said:
Hi richwolf,
can I know how you decided on the M frame? I'm not sure which size I should consider. I'm 6'1" with 33" inseam.
I think you should get a small!;)

Seriously, you would need their large frame. What size frame and brand do you ride now? Any idea of effective top tube?

A friend came into town yesterday and he wanted to ride so I let him borrow my canzo. He is 5'10 inch with a 30 inch inseam. The medium in my opinion was too small for him. I went with a medium because that is what size my Dambala was. I have my saddle back on the rails and am running a normal size stem. I would like to try a small for comparison. My old KHS 4 bar is sized similarly to their small and I feel a little cramped on it. Another factor is the BB height is 1/2 inch higher on their medium vs their small.

The bike just rips. I have quite a few rides on it now and it is the most capable trail bike I have ever owned. Fast narrow single track littered with chicken heads are no problem even sitting down and hammering. I am running my reba at 100mm and it matches the rear end very nicely. I don't think I would want a longer travel fork.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.