Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came in today.

Got it together and rode it around. Feels good. Back end feels nice and tight.
Will report back once I get it dialed in and have a few rides under my belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shock is one of the new Rockshox shocks...looks like it might be the 3.3?
not sure about the bushes or bearings tho

·
This place needs an enema
15,573 Posts
Law said:
Does the lower pivot near the bb use bushings or bearings? What rear shock is that? Frame weight?
BB pivot is a bushing, as are the dropout pivots.

MC 3.3 rear shock.

Let's just say the weight is in line with the price. It isn't a boat anchor, but you'd never mistake it for light.

MC

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sub 6 pounds on my UPS scale with shock and seat collar.

Size 18 inch model.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
mikesee said:
Let's just say the weight is in line with the price. It isn't a boat anchor, but you'd never mistake it for light.
....less than 6lbs frame/shock sounds pretty light to me. what are you riding that's much lighter than that at the same travel?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Frames twice the price plus change, under a pound lighter.
At a $3000 budget, this will help build a pretty light bike!

I have a '97 Canzo ESP in the basement. Unified Rear Triangle. Kiddy wheels. makes me feel old skool. I still cannot imagine a bike faster in a straight line, asphalt or rough gravel. Pre-platform damper age though, so it would barely reach the top of any short climb.

This one looks tempting. Does it come in a 21" tall size?

·
This place needs an enema
15,573 Posts
ferday said:
....less than 6lbs frame/shock sounds pretty light to me. what are you riding that's much lighter than that at the same travel?
Perhaps we have a scale discrepancy here. My 18" Canzo demo frame weighed 7+ (7.2, I *think*) with rear shock and seat collar. My 18" Leviathan frame (also with shock and seat collar) weighs 5.3 on that same scale.

MC

·
Registered
104 Posts
Suspension redesign?

That looks like a very nice frame (and for ~$1K, competively priced too!). But, what happened to the short swing links at the BB? I thought this was supposed to be a "floating pivot" type design per the pic below:

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
hat looks like a very nice frame (and for ~$1K, competively priced too!). But, what happened to the short swing links at the BB? I thought this was supposed to be a "floating pivot" type design per the pic below:
you can likely thank DW for that one.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Faux bar suspension, rockshox 3.3. didn't inspect the bearings close enough but I guess they are what they are.

I really doubt my UPS scale is 1.3 pounds off!

Build up pic enclosed. I won't list the component build cause it ain't nothing special.

The rear end feels real solid when I am out of the saddle climbing. I lock the front fork out though to minimize bob. No need to lock the rear end out.

I think I should have a lot of fun with it even though it is not a Lev!

It was in the 4th of July Parade today for our local park volunteer unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
It looks good. I think it should be a solid under $1K FS frame option! Great to see the photos. Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went riding at BLT tonight (san diego county mountains).

Loved the ride and handling. It is the same exact build as my Dambala so it is a fair comparison between the two.
It sits up higher due to having suspension but it still felt very good under me. No rear end side to side squirm. My last dually was a Giant VT1 and it had a lot of side to side flex and bobbed a lot when standing.

The the rear shock feels nice. I just hope it holds up. Any tuning tips on the Rockshox MC 3.3? I am around 140 pounds.

I ordered the 18 inch frame which should be too big for me since I am around 5'6". I am glad I did not order the 16. This gives me a little longer top tube and a longer wheel base for stability. I have my seat back almost all the way and decent length stem. Voodoo seems to like short top tubes. I think someone 5'9 or shorter would fit on the 18 OK. If you are real tall or like long top tubes this may not be the ride for you even in large.

Of course my big concern with rear suspension is the pivots and rear shock. Only time will tell if it holds up or not.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the ride report and pictures.
What is the ETT of the frame? I guess measured centre of headset to ctr of seatpost.
Is the frame the same steel tubing as the Dambala?

Now with two conflicting weights I'm really curious!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yagimax said:
Thanks for the ride report and pictures.
What is the ETT of the frame? I guess measured centre of headset to ctr of seatpost.
Is the frame the same steel tubing as the Dambala?

Now with two conflicting weights I'm really curious!

ETT 23.2 inches

From BTI web site:
http://www.bti-usa.com/list.asp?cat...Sec=0&filter=&searchtype=&showGrp=VD1276#open

They claim 5.9 pounds and that is about what I measured with my UPS scale. I could be wrong so perhaps we should wait for some other owners to weigh in (so to speak!)

Frame is supposedly 7005 aluminum, not steel.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
In this case you may be right, but many S 29"ers are actually more stable than their bigger M brothers, due to toe overlap geometry constraints.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts