Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride today and before I even left the parking lot I noticed the seat was wiggling side to side. I slightly tightened the bolt and all a sudden the bolt and the round exterior spiral cylinder fell out as well. I tried putting both back in but it was very loose and didn’t hold. Super bummed since I just got this bike. Anyone know how to resolve this or how much this could cost at a bike shop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you talking about where the seatpost attaches to the seat, or where the seatpost goes into the bike frame,?

Either way a bike shop will definitely be able to help you out.
If it's where the seat attaches to the post, you may need a new seatpost, but I wouldn't buy one from a bike shop unless they have a used one for cheap. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone local who has upgraded to a dropper post and will sell you their old one for cheap. You just need to know what size yours is.

If it's where the post attaches to the bike, that parts cheap to replace.

If the bike is new, I would take it to where you bought it and have them fix/replace it...

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
44,443 Posts

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,788 Posts
afaik
canyons come with a torque wrench in the box
seat bolt is 4Nm, which is very low torque, 1Nm less than handlebar parts
the entire canyon manual is all about torque and using the supplied wrench

[hell my giant seat wedge is 10.2Nm]

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Contact Canyon support. They'll get you sorted one way or the other.

You can certainly bring it to a bike shop. They'll take a look at it and let you know what the situation is. If it can be fixed with standard parts and procedures, they can do it. If a proprietary part is needed or the frame is damaged or broken, you'll have to contact Canyon.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,788 Posts
Another fix without a problem...geez. When will these manufacturers learn?
right ?

it looks great at interbike but is a hassle in real world use

my friggin 2 giant bikes with wedges, I could do without them

·
since 4/10/2009
34,370 Posts
I hate these stupid little proprietary parts.

They offer the consumer zero benefit over a plain old seat clamp.

Someone needs to punch Canyon's engineers in the nuts for this (and Giant's, for their stupid wedge).

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Product Bicycle accessory Carbon Cylinder Pipe

Looks interesting. How else would you ditch the seat tube slot and clamp? Dropper posts seemingly don't like to be clamped, since they sort of get pear shaped I suppose. The slot is probably a source of water ingress.

Odd that the torque value is so low. If I didn't know it was so low, and it had anything bigger than a 4mm allen head, I would've for sure overtorqued it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sent some additional pictures to Canyon. They offered a full refund of the bike or to reimburse me the repair. They stated a helicoil would need to be installed, which I opted for. Great customer service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.