Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
cycloanarch said:
Hi I'm looking for a set of canti's for my cross bike. Anyone have any leads on something like some Hershey's or Machine Tech's or the like. I'd even go for some Onza H.O.'s

thanks
To my perverted mind, the best cantilever brakes ever made were the Campagnolo high-profile cantilevers from the early 90s Tandem gruppo. Beutifully made, fantastic stoppers, and very, very easy to set up. Good luck finding a pair, though. I checked e-bay every day for 4 months until I found a pair. They usually go for well over 200 bucks, but I got lucky, and paid only $110 for mine.

For pix, click:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=7212

And look at the first picture. There are some Record ORs pictured further down.

I now have 3 of them, one on the front of the tandem, which is how I fell in love with them to begin with, and the afrementioned e-bay pair, waiting patiently to find their true home on my custom Rivendell.

The Record ORs are almost as nice, and much easier to find. Still not cheap, though.

--Shannon

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
cycloanarch said:
Hi I'm looking for a set of canti's for my cross bike. Anyone have any leads on something like some Hershey's or Machine Tech's or the like. I'd even go for some Onza H.O.'s
My prefernce for CX bikes are Paul Neo Retros on the front and Touring on the rear. The Neo Retro is an updated version of the Mafac touring canti; they are too wide of a profile for the rear though. They look nice, are incredibly easy to set up and adjust, and use v brake pads (which is part of the reason they are so easy to set up). Other than not being cheap, they're nice brakes.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
There's a few set of onZa HOs on Ebay now. I've got a set on my cross bike that I really like. I've also got a set of WTB canti's I'd be willing to sell if you're interested. Of course, I'll give MTBR $3 if they sell here...lemme know.

·
Registered
995 Posts
What do I know, anyway...

I'd have to agree. After owning pretty much every high-end brake ever made, my favourites are still Campys cantis. They were probably where Grafton should have gone with the speed controllers & MagLites, instead of the SCII, but I didn't work there to tell em, so...

Grafton brakes definitely score a 10 for originality, and may be the most legitimate authentic retro-chic stuff around, but the inevitable squealing & kinda amateurish shimmed setup is just as annoying now as it was then.

IRD's were pretty burly & very well made, innovative, ultra cool, and now rare.

I do love the marinovative cheap tricks quite a lot. They're still the lightest, plus, very easy to set up, plenty powerful, and I've got more miles on them than any of my other brakes by far, and they show no signs of wear. But being linear-pull, they're not really cantis. I've got a couple pair of new Decelerators I'm waiting to put on my Whiskeytown cyclocross ride, but I'm at least a little concerned for their well-being after uphillers post here.

Machine Techs are pretty, but that was about their only attribute. If you were really lucky you got a pair that weren't a complete hassle.

Eastern Woods Research were pretty well & fine, as were the Avids, & Onzas that followed, but talk about rare...

Westpine & Wasatch made some very cool funkified units that I still like, if only for existential purposes. Ever pack a clock movement with mud? Don't work so well after that...

For as cool as the toggle/rollercams were, WTB's canti's are dangerously close to being unanimously known as the worst brake to have to set up ever. I didn't have a problem with mine, but every other person (and I mean quite a lot) that has commented on em, has said, "Ohhh, those things..."

There are pretty much your main choices for vintage pinchers.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Oh yes, and Pauls, well, Paul does a bang-up job on everything over there, has huge retrocred as Mountain Goat's original machinist, plus, you can get a nice new superslick pair of motolights, and if people look quick, they still pass for vintage, cause 90% of them haven't changed since the molden golden days... the whole "stick with what works" bit, you know..

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Let me just warn you about the OnZa canti's: I owned four pair and liked them but each died the same death --they SPLIT at the brake pad clamping section.

The set up is really fun, as cantilevers go, on these brakes, but if you cinch the bolts holding the brake pad into the carrier (as oppose to the one holding the carrier onto the brake arm) too much, the damn things just crack and fail. Sometimes, this occurs with poor timing. I'm not talking about cinching the damn things with a breaker-bar, either, merely the way you might to ensure nothing moves around in hard braking.

The shop I did some floor sweeping and toilet dirtying for sold quite a few pairs of those brakes and that problem seemed unfortunately common.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
after working in a shop throught the hey-day of CNC this and CNC that, I rued the day when we sold a pair of Speed Controllers and had to install and adjust them. Give me a pair of Dia-Compe 985 or Ritchey cantis (also made by D-C) any day. The first gen XTR were darn nice too. The new Paul's brakes are definitely sweet as are the new Avid cantis.

·
Registered
92 Posts
cycloanarch said:

thanks
Why not go with some Paul's Retro Canti's or some really nice Empella frog legs? Spooky brakes are really nice cross brakes too.

here's some links in case you have never seen these...

http://paulcomp.com/frmbrakes.html
http://www.spooky-brakes.nl/spooky_index_eng.htm

I can't find an Empella site (I didn't really look hard) but here's a pic of their brakes from cyclingnews.com's write up of Johnny Sundt's bike.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/tech/probikes/?id=k2enemy/JF08

Russ

·
Registered
779 Posts
since your looking to put these on a cross bike i highly recommend you get low profiles. all these high profile brakes just get cought up on you while your mounting/dismounting and when your running with the bike over your back. in the heated battle of cross racing a low-profile brake can keep you from going home with a big battle wound across some part of your body. i say xtr canti's or really any solid working brake that does'nt stick out really far. i know a lot of the pro racers have high profile brakes but believe me they get cought up in them too. sponsors dont always give you what you want! -Sky

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
vdubbusrider said:
since your looking to put these on a cross bike i highly recommend you get low profiles. all these high profile brakes just get cought up on you while your mounting/dismounting and when your running with the bike over your back. in the heated battle of cross racing a low-profile brake can keep you from going home with a big battle wound across some part of your body. i say xtr canti's or really any solid working brake that does'nt stick out really far. i know a lot of the pro racers have high profile brakes but believe me they get cought up in them too. sponsors dont always give you what you want! -Sky
I've had good luck with the Neo Retros on the front, but really bad luck on the back. I originally had them on both front and rear on my CX bike, but replaced the rear ones (after kicking it into the spokes one too many times on dismounts) with a set of old Ritchey Logics that I had laying around. For general cruising around they work fine on the back, but for racing they are poor - go with the Touring model.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.