Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new commuting setup is a 2008 Cannondale X6 running Tektro Oryx with salmon pads. No bosses for disc, and I wouldn't be able to afford that whole conversion anyway. I need more stopping power, I'm not getting anything close to what I need on a daily commute. I've heard that one can setup cantis to have just as much stopping power as linear pulls, but I don't have that knowledge. Reading Sheldon Browns article on the subject went completely over my head.

So, should I cut my losses and just upgrade to mini linear pulls, or is there something that I just don't know about that can be passed on to the guys at the shop that will allow me to lock up the wheels?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
find a better shop.
The idea of asking the internet for setup advice then relating it to a guy you're paying to know how to set them up...

Sheldon's guide will get you through everything you need to know. If the mechanic doesn't understand, really, really find a better shop.

a competent mechanic can set up the brakes you have to be as powerful as vs would be.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The key determinants of braking power for cantis are brake arm length and straddle cable angle. Zinn also has pretty good info on brake setup. Basically short arm cantis like Avid, Cane Creek, or your Tektro Oryx are more powerful than long arm cantis like TRP or Tektro 720, and the flatter the angle of the straddle wire (closer to the tire) the more power, and less mud clearance and modulation you get.
You might consider different pad material as well, I switched to the 3 compound Kool Stop cross pads on my Redline with avid Shortys and they gripped hard enough to make the fork chatter.
Also if you do opt for Mini-Vs you can save a bundle by buying Tektro 926A BMX brakes with Jagwire adjustable noodles since that runs about $30 for both wheels, and swap over your Kool Stop pads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts