Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1990 Fuji Tahoe and I'm thinking about making it into a bit of a commuter/touring style bike. It's been a couple of decades since I've really wrenched on a bicycle so I have some questions.
1.It has diacompe cantis on it; some kind of plastic material it appears. I want to upgrade them to something better- will any cantis fit on there or could there be an issue with the size of the post it fits on? do they have to be specific to a 26 inch wheel?
2. Do the brakes need to be specific to an mtb type brake lever? is there a difference?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Any canti should work. Post are pretty standard. Plastic most likely covers cheap metal.

U-brake post are spaced differently.

V-brakes are an option, but should be used with v-brake specific brake levers.

Even cheap V-brakes provide good stopping power and are easy to set up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have v-brakes on my little Free Agent bmx cruiser and they are surprisingly powerful.

So if I convert the bars to more of a road style the levers will work?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
tailgunn said:
I have v-brakes on my little Free Agent bmx cruiser and they are surprisingly powerful.

So if I convert the bars to more of a road style the levers will work?
I'd guess no. I've not run road levers with v-brakes, but I'm pretty sure you need a device called a "travel agent" to make the roadie levers work correctly with V's.

Search the site, you may find more answers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
KDXdog said:
I'd guess no. I've not run road levers with v-brakes, but I'm pretty sure you need a device called a "travel agent" to make the roadie levers work correctly with V's.

Search the site, you may find more answers.
Tektro mini-v's would probably work as well, but I think they have to be set up fairly close to the rim.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
road levers with canti's or mini-v brakes will work. Regular v/linear brakes will require a road lever that is compatible (ie tektro rl520)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I just picked up a 1990 Fuji Tahoe as well for a rain bike/commuter/grocery getter. I think I'll put some Paul Cantis on it...

:D jk...someone would steal the bike just for the brakes! Mine seem to work OK, so I'm going to keep them until they fall apart. After that, probably something like Avid Shorty 4's:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts